2D/3D Question

Started by
4 comments, last by Hellraisr 20 years, 9 months ago
Most game programming books start with teaching you how to program in 2D. My question is this: Is it still relevant today to learn 2D programming first? Or should one just skip 2D altogether and go for 3D? Thanks!
Advertisement
I would recommend you to start with 2D as it'll teach you the most basic graphics programming, giving you a solid foundation when you decide to move to 3D.

Jumping right into 3D graphics without prior experience in graphics, might be the death of you (literally!) as the math is quite difficult and there's tonnes of it (especially in making a 3D engine), plus some other reasons such as more advanced topics (not beginner-friendly).

Yes it is relavant to start with 2D, as 2D hasn't died away at all and it's a great starting place. But it's really up to you...but I'd go with 2D and make some simple games before tackling 3D.

[edited by - chacha8 on July 7, 2003 11:25:12 AM]
Some games that are still played today in 2d:

Metroid Prime
And other side scroller game (heck, I still play some street fighter games HAHAHAHA)

BattleGuard

Only questions raise questions. Questions are raised by people, by curiousity, the gift of nature to all human beings. And curiosity is satisfied by answers, which in turn raise questions, which lead to answers. And this curiosity is what keeps SCIENCE alive...
There are still heaps of 2D games still played and made these days, even commercial ones.

[edited by - chacha8 on July 7, 2003 12:18:21 PM]
Hello,
Yes, 2D is still very relevant. The GBA and all cell-phones are major 2D platforms right now (although the GBA can pull off *some* 3D). Not only that, but there are still many 2D games coming out for major platforms - the Playstation 2 has the Guilty Gear series, and I think Metal Slug still uses 2D for the most part.

Aside from the potential to profit from your stuff, there''s also the learning benefits. You really should learn 2D and make a few simple games in it to get the basics of game-development down before you move on to 3D, where the basics still apply but things get more complex.

Hope that helps,
--Brian
Hello all

thank you for the input. I''ve started working on an arkanoid style block-break game for my first game (in 2D).

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement