Graphing calculator

Started by
18 comments, last by rohde 20 years, 9 months ago
Wow, thanks for all the replies.

I'm at university so I don't need to worry so much about being able to use it at tests.

I have an older HP (32SII) so I'm used to the RPN. My older brother has a great TI though so that's why I'm kinda uncertain about whether to go with HP (which I trust) or try a new thing with TI.

I'm mainly gonna use it for differential equations/calclulus and the graphing ability is very important as well.

But I don't know where HP and TI excels.

EDIT: Grammar.

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction.

[edited by - rohde on July 7, 2003 4:45:10 PM]

[edited by - rohde on July 7, 2003 4:45:37 PM]
"We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." -Francois de La Rochefoucauld (1613 - 1680). | My blog
Advertisement
I''ve been very happy with the graphing capabilites of my HP 48g. Just to give you an idea, it supports single variable, polar, parametrix, diff eq, conic, truth, histogram, bar, scatter, slopefield, wireframe, ps-coutour, gridmap, y-slice, and pr-surface plots. You can trace these plots, change the domain, super-impose two plots, find roots, check the slope at a point, shade under or above, take the area of a section(which can be marked graphically), draw the tangent line, and zoom. Also, the plotter can be fed data from other programs you write, so you can automatically generate a bunch of plots on some input set.

It can numerically integrate fairly well. I haven''t ever used the symbolic integration, though supposedly it can do that as well. If you want symbolic integration though, I''d get the TI-92(which is a monster at symbolic integration). It can integrate, differentiate, isolate variable, solve quadratics, and manipulate expressions all symbolically. I haven''t played with the differential equation solving at all, but it supports that as well.
Only on the ACT''s are you not allowed to use a TI89 which has a symbolic algebra system. Otherwise, you are golden for the SAT''s, AP''s, and SATII''s

Brendan
Brendan"Mathematics is the Queen of the Sciences, and Arithmetic the Queen of Mathematics" -Gauss
I bought (back in the day) a Scientific/Programmable/Graphing Casio, except the graph screen was so small it looked like your typical $15 sci calc. I got to use it on all my tests since noone thought it could graph. LOL.
I recommend the TI-89

The e-book program that you can download off of ticalc.org can view any of your custom made e-books. Great for re-reading the Opengl Red Book on long trips.

By the way, can you really use the TI-89 on the SATs, or am I going to have to buy a TI-83+?
I was required to buy a Casio 9850G for a Calculus class. It was bundled with the book, and the book had sections at the end of each chapter (or just about each chapter) that had exercises and examples for that particular calculator. I had no problems with it, and its text capabilities came in useful during Chemistry tests.
quote:Original post by sjelkjd
If you want symbolic integration though, I''d get the TI-92(which is a monster at symbolic integration). It can integrate, differentiate, isolate variable, solve quadratics, and manipulate expressions all symbolically. I haven''t played with the differential equation solving at all, but it supports that as well.

Just so you know, a TI-89 is a TI-92 in a different case. I''d reccomend the TI-89, I''m a senior majoring in math, and I can''t count the number of times the TI-89''s symbolic manipulation (particularly integration/differentiation) have saved my ass.

If you''re doing anything like Calculus or more complex (DiffEQ etc...) a TI-89 is what I''d reccomend.
Purely scientific calculators are boring. My TI-83+ got me through the most boring lectures in my college. Playing games & such.
I have experience with the TI-89 and the HP 4x models. I would reccomend using the TI calculator; it is much easier to use has more features, and in my experience, has everything the HPs have and more.
You know what I never noticed before?
I don''t like the 86. The can do pretty much everything the 86 can do (if not built in then there are programs for it). I''d say go with the 83 or 89.
____________________________________________________________AAAAA: American Association Against Adobe AcrobatYou know you hate PDFs...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement