Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

kenjin

question on dplay

kenjin    122
Hi When a good time to let the clients know that a player has entered the gaem. I think createPlayer is called when a player has joined a session. So originally I put it in there. But the problem is I think dplay send out a createPlayer when the server starts up and I had problems. Is there a better time to inform clients of a new player starting position? Also is it wise to update and send world positions to all clients eveery 100ms. Is this too fast?

Guest Anonymous Poster   
Guest Anonymous Poster
I suggest you create 3 groups: Team RED, Team BLUE and Spectator. Joining a game puts you in the Spectator group by default. Otherwise, things get pertty hairy and fast at initialization time. It''s better to react to a custom message than use the default DP messages for initialization. When the server receives a command that a player wants to join a group and you include the player DPNID in the selected group, and you can use the CREATE_GROUP message to start the player in its default position of the selected team.

cbenoi1    484
There is a boolean bit flag in the DPN_PLAYER_INFO structure that determines if the player is local or remote.

DPN_PLAYER_INFO.dwPlayerFlags & DPNPLAYER_LOCAL ? true : false;

-cb

Pipo DeClown    804
quote:
Original post by cbenoi1
There is a boolean bit flag in the DPN_PLAYER_INFO structure that determines if the player is local or remote.

DPN_PLAYER_INFO.dwPlayerFlags & DPNPLAYER_LOCAL ? true : false;

-cb

Now that I know that.. Though it''s sometimes handy to know howmany players youre dealing with.

.lick