Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jmg5

glut

jmg5    100
GLUT is a OpenGL library designed for beginners, right? I don't know an API to create windows (to display graphics drawn with OpenGL). I looked NeHe's tutorials, and noticed the huge amount of code using the Win32 API just to create a window. Does glut help with this? Will glut create a window without all the hassle? Are the commands with the normal libraries different with glut? Where can I get the Glut library? I don't have it. Finally, If I go ahead and do Glut, will I be able to quickly transition to normal OpenGL with ease? Thanks!

jmg5    100
No one can just give me a brief description?
Maybe I should have been more clear. When using
GLUT, do I have to know another API like the Win32
API to create a window for displaying OpenGL graphics?

Thanks!

acaba17    122
glut makes it easy to create a window to display graphics drawn with opengl. Unless you are planning on doing complex things with windows I recommend using glut. It gets rid of a lot of the hassle you''d have to go through with the Win32 API.

csDraco_    132
if you type GLUT in google the second link will tell you that:

GLUT (pronounced like the glut in gluttony) is the OpenGL Utility Toolkit, a window system independent toolkit for writing OpenGL programs. It implements a simple windowing application programming interface (API) for OpenGL. GLUT makes it considerably easier to learn about and explore OpenGL programming. GLUT provides a portable API so you can write a single OpenGL program that works on both Win32 PCs and X11 workstations

GLUT is designed for constructing small to medium sized OpenGL programs. While GLUT is well-suited to learning OpenGL and developing simple OpenGL applications, GLUT is not a full-featured toolkit so large applications requiring sophisticated user interfaces are better off using native window system toolkits like Motif. GLUT is simple, easy, and small.

-> http://www.opengl.org/developers/documentation/glut.html

From my personal expirence GLUT is perfect for learning OpenGL. In plain english GLUT allows you to ignore system specific ways of creating a window, you just do it the GLUT way on UNIX, Linux, Windows, ... Plus as a bonus GLUT provides functions that acomplish the exact same thing as n# of pure OpenGL function calls.
I myself used GLUT on both linux and win2k, I even used it for my main project in 4th yr. computer graphics class, to create a 3D tank shootem-up game