Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

glut

This topic is 5271 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

GLUT is a OpenGL library designed for beginners, right? I don't know an API to create windows (to display graphics drawn with OpenGL). I looked NeHe's tutorials, and noticed the huge amount of code using the Win32 API just to create a window. Does glut help with this? Will glut create a window without all the hassle? Are the commands with the normal libraries different with glut? Where can I get the Glut library? I don't have it. Finally, If I go ahead and do Glut, will I be able to quickly transition to normal OpenGL with ease? Thanks!

No one can just give me a brief description?
Maybe I should have been more clear. When using
GLUT, do I have to know another API like the Win32
API to create a window for displaying OpenGL graphics?

Thanks!

glut makes it easy to create a window to display graphics drawn with opengl. Unless you are planning on doing complex things with windows I recommend using glut. It gets rid of a lot of the hassle you''d have to go through with the Win32 API.

if you type GLUT in google the second link will tell you that:

GLUT (pronounced like the glut in gluttony) is the OpenGL Utility Toolkit, a window system independent toolkit for writing OpenGL programs. It implements a simple windowing application programming interface (API) for OpenGL. GLUT makes it considerably easier to learn about and explore OpenGL programming. GLUT provides a portable API so you can write a single OpenGL program that works on both Win32 PCs and X11 workstations

GLUT is designed for constructing small to medium sized OpenGL programs. While GLUT is well-suited to learning OpenGL and developing simple OpenGL applications, GLUT is not a full-featured toolkit so large applications requiring sophisticated user interfaces are better off using native window system toolkits like Motif. GLUT is simple, easy, and small.

-> http://www.opengl.org/developers/documentation/glut.html

From my personal expirence GLUT is perfect for learning OpenGL. In plain english GLUT allows you to ignore system specific ways of creating a window, you just do it the GLUT way on UNIX, Linux, Windows, ... Plus as a bonus GLUT provides functions that acomplish the exact same thing as n# of pure OpenGL function calls.
I myself used GLUT on both linux and win2k, I even used it for my main project in 4th yr. computer graphics class, to create a 3D tank shootem-up game