• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

teamonkey

Undefined reference to `_imp___Py_NoneStruct'

This topic is 5488 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi I get this message when I create a Python embedded function in C++ that doesn''t return anything (that it, it returns Py_NONE). For example:
static PyObject* emb_hello(PyObject *self, PyObject *args) {
    printf("Hello World!\n");

Py_INCREF(Py_None);
    return Py_None;
} 
I get two identical linking errors that correspond to the two last lines of that function:
main.o(.text+0x1f):main.cpp: undefined reference to `_imp___Py_NoneStruct''
main.o(.text+0x26):main.cpp: undefined reference to `_imp___Py_NoneStruct''

Does anyone know what''s going on here? I''m using Dev-C++ with Python 2.2.3. Cheers [teamonkey]

Advertisement
I found the answer thanks to help@python.org (because as soon as I clicked "send" I found it). I''ll give it here in case anyone else has the same problem.

It''s actually in the Python FAQ, section 8.16. Particularly this bit:

quote:

Py_INCREF(Py_None);
_resultobj = Py_None;
return _resultobj;

Alas, Py_None is a macro that expands to a reference to a complex data structure called _Py_NoneStruct inside python##.dll. Again, this code will fail in a mult-compiler environment. Replace such code by:

return Py_BuildValue("");

[teamonkey]

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!