• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TechnoGoth

Is combat in games a requirement?

This topic is 5492 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I''m curious as to what game player and developers think about combat in games. Is it possible to make and rpg, adventure, or action game. That has no combat in it? And would such a game still appeal to a wide audience?

Advertisement
Hahahaha. Sim City is a big one. The Sims. Harvest Moon(A personal favorite). There are many games that don''t require combat. For an RPG i''d think that combat would be the point of the game. For an adventure or action game you could prolly get away without putting combat in it.

no, it is not possible. i mean, by definition games must include violence of some sort. if there is no combat, it is not a video game!

The Sims has no violence per se and is extremely popular. A Tale in the Desert has none and is also popular.

perhaps I should clarifiy a little, the are games with no combat such similuation games and sports games, and there are games that are all combat such fighting games and FPS. But what I''m interested in all the others types of games. Is combat a nessecary part? If the was an RPG/action/adventure game with no combat in it would people play it?

There have been plenty of adventure games with no violence.

I was thinking violence-free shooters would be an oxymoron too, but then I remembered PoopMUp (also that game where you throw paint at baby seals, and Super Noah''s Ark 3D.) If you consider those combat as well, I guess it is an oxymoron.

There will always be conflict in a game. Everyone involved will want to win. Unless your game is so boring that noone cares and just goes afk all the time, using your game as a screensaver to prevent burn-in on their precious LCD screens and God I hope this isn''t an old topic I''m posting in.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!