Is combat in games a requirement?

Started by
27 comments, last by TechnoGoth 20 years, 9 months ago
I''m curious as to what game player and developers think about combat in games. Is it possible to make and rpg, adventure, or action game. That has no combat in it? And would such a game still appeal to a wide audience?
Advertisement
Hahahaha. Sim City is a big one. The Sims. Harvest Moon(A personal favorite). There are many games that don''t require combat. For an RPG i''d think that combat would be the point of the game. For an adventure or action game you could prolly get away without putting combat in it.
/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Looking for video game music? Check out some of my samples at http://www.youtube.c...ser/cminortunes            

I'm currently looking to create music for a project, if you are interested e-mail me at cminortunes@gmail.com    

Please only message me for hobby projects, I am not looking to create music for anything serious.
no, it is not possible. i mean, by definition games must include violence of some sort. if there is no combat, it is not a video game!
--- krez ([email="krez_AT_optonline_DOT_net"]krez_AT_optonline_DOT_net[/email])
The Sims has no violence per se and is extremely popular. A Tale in the Desert has none and is also popular.
---------------------http://www.stodge.net
Does the FIFA or Champ. Man. game series count as combat?
perhaps I should clarifiy a little, the are games with no combat such similuation games and sports games, and there are games that are all combat such fighting games and FPS. But what I''m interested in all the others types of games. Is combat a nessecary part? If the was an RPG/action/adventure game with no combat in it would people play it?
There have been plenty of adventure games with no violence.

I was thinking violence-free shooters would be an oxymoron too, but then I remembered PoopMUp (also that game where you throw paint at baby seals, and Super Noah''s Ark 3D.) If you consider those combat as well, I guess it is an oxymoron.
Your game will be fine as long as its interactive and fun.
Super Monkey Ball has no violence (if you only count the main game)...
There will always be conflict in a game. Everyone involved will want to win. Unless your game is so boring that noone cares and just goes afk all the time, using your game as a screensaver to prevent burn-in on their precious LCD screens and God I hope this isn''t an old topic I''m posting in.
Member of the Unban nes8bit or the White Rhino in my Basement Gets Sold to the Highest Bidder Association (UNWRBGSHBA - Not accepting new members.)Member of the I'm Glad Mithrandir Finally Found an Association that Accepts People with his Past History Association (IGMFFAAPPHA)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement