Putting up a Server

Started by
3 comments, last by darkawakenings 20 years, 9 months ago
Well see, it goes like this. After two days of studying Winsock etc, i programmed this server. Now I was just wonderin how I put it up on the internet. I just want it to be constantly running on my website, so somewho downloads the client, which is built into the game, can connect and play against people. I was also wonderin if I could connect two comps without use of a website, like with their phone # or something. Thanks in advance
Advertisement
A hardy HUH?!? to ya.
if you want to run a server from some computer on the internet, you need to find someone to host it, that will allow you to run your server program on their hardware.

or, you can host it on your own PC (if you have a cable modem or DSL or something that is always on), and then have a service (such as no-ip.com) link your domain name to your PC''s IP address.

two computers can connect over the ''net if they have each others IP addresses. look for tutorials on peer-to-peer networking.
--- krez ([email="krez_AT_optonline_DOT_net"]krez_AT_optonline_DOT_net[/email])
quote:Original post by darkawakenings
I was also wondering if I could connect two comps without use of a website, like with their phone # or something.
Two days may not be enough to be able to code proper server software (great practise, though).

Of cource you can connect two machines without having the third wheel messing around. Then (at least) one of those computers have to act (also) as a server.
Ok, thanks for the help.

I was wonderin if anyone could elaborate on the running the server off of my home computer. I do have a computer that has cable hookup, so I think that this is a possibility. But how would I go about doing this? Obviously I could set up the server on the cable inet comp, and maybe shut down http and bind to port 80, but still how would I route people going to my website into my computer? Thanks in advance, help is appreciated.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement