Driver change breaks wglAllocateMemoryNV

Started by
6 comments, last by zealouselixir 20 years, 9 months ago
Thanks for the read. I''m currently working on a 3D engine for an architecture renderering project, and I''m approaching deadline. The system is in place, but I just reformatted/installed everything again, and I''m having an issue with wglAllocateMemoryNV. Before, I was able to call wglAllocateMemoryNV and get about 8 MB of AGP memory, which was enough to store all vertices for the building, and I then partitioned this space up into custom vertex buffers and drew them individually using index arrays offset with a special formula. All this is pretty much irrelevant - I just wanted to lay down the back story so you''d see exactly where the problem is. That is, wglAllocateMemoryNV no longer works. Specifically, this wglAllocateMemoryNV(8388608, 0.2f, 0.2f, 0.5f); returns 0, which indicates that the function was unable to allocate memory. I have used these exact parameters with success in the past, so I am led to believe that it is a driver or setting issue. I am currently running Detonator 44.03''s on my VisionTek geForce3 ti550, and before the format, I was running Detonator 40.72''s (note that these are the latest WHQL UDI drivers from nVidia, but it seems like such a feature wouldn''t have broken across this version change, especially since the 44.03s have been around so long - we''ll see). I plan to do a rollback tonight to verify that it is the driver, but I just wanted to post this in case anyone had any information. I understand it''s a pretty advanced and specific case, but any hints at all you can give would be supremely appreciated. Thanks all, ZE. //email me.//zealouselixir software.//msdn.//n00biez.//
miscellaneous links

[twitter]warrenm[/twitter]

Advertisement
Hrm. I rolled back to 40.72 and now I''m nervous. It didn''t fix the problem.

It''s pretty hard to say from the limited info. Thing is, wglAllocateMemoryNV is pretty independent from the driver revision. It''s just a convenience function, and is in no way connected to the ICD core. It simply forwards your request to the OS. If it returns NULL, then that means that the OS was unable to allocate memory of the requested type. It could be a problem with the AGP drivers. What OS and mainboard chipset do you have ? Did you install any third party AGP drivers, or the one that came with the OS ? What AGP aperture size did you assign ?

Also, try to allocate some VRAM instead of the AGP. Does that work ?
I think it must be the AGP drivers. I''ve just now installed the supplied AGP drivers for my motherboard (Asus A7V with a VIA/AMD 761 Chipset). I''m running on Win2k Pro. Lemme reboot and I''ll see if that''s the issue.

Thanks so much for the prompt reply.

Yeah, this just reinforces my belief that YannL is, indeed, THE man. Works like a charm. Thanks a thousand times over.

Peace,
ZE.

//email me.//zealouselixir software.//msdn.//n00biez.//
miscellaneous links

Heh, it was just a stab into the dark, pure luck that it worked

Good luck with your project
quote:Original post by ZealousElixir
..... VisionTek geForce3 ti550 ......

Is this some new kind of GeForce3?! There is GeForce3 Ti500 not Ti550...

"C lets you shoot yourself in the foot rather easily. C++ allows you to reuse the bullet!"
Member of the Shove Pouya Off A Cliff club, SPOAC. (If you wish to join, add this line to your signature.)Member of "Un-Ban nes8bit" association, UNA (to join put this in your sig)"C lets you shoot yourself in the foot rather easily. C++ allows you to reuse the bullet!"
My bad. It is indeed a ti500.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement