why doesn't it work???

Started by
9 comments, last by koexistens 20 years, 9 months ago
unix, that is...
Read my devblog at: koex.dyndns.org/blog
Advertisement
its working just fine right now on my comp...
Because it hasn''t been updated since 1989?

Assuming you''re talking about SCO UNIX System V/386.
..it''s written in pure C at some universities for over a decade ago...

Why don''t they rewrite the linux kernel (which also suffers from pure C...) in C++ for instance and sort out some of the oldest apps and rewrite them?

btw, I think apple has done the best thing there is to unix/linux with OS X, built a fast, good-looking and working UI for it. (Somewhat accelerated with OGL too, wich is way cooler the M$''s OS)
a) nothing "suffers" from C. it is simply another programming language using a procedural paradigm (a paradigm which is tried and tested).

b) when you say "they", who do you mean? try convincing all the linux programmers across the world to re-code into C++. Linus hasn''t even kept track of who contributed parts of the code to linux. It would be such a time consuming waste for everyone to re-code someone else''s code into another language, with which no benefit at all is gained. Just because you like C++ doesn''t mean it''s the best.
GSACP: GameDev Society Against Crap PostingTo join: Put these lines in your signature and don't post crap!
c) unix works damn fine. C was created purely for the reason of coding Unix, so without unix C++ wouldn''t exist. Avoid making such narrow minded, short sighted and obviously idiotic posts in the future.

sorry everyone for the flame talk.
GSACP: GameDev Society Against Crap PostingTo join: Put these lines in your signature and don't post crap!
GNU/hurd (an alternative to the linux kernel) is written in c++, but it''s not finished yet, not entirely sure how usuable it is tho.

I see dumb people.

.zfod
sorry everybody...

just wanted to check if there was any flamers here

don''t take the post too serious..
GNU/HURD has been in pre-alpha stage for over 12 years now. Perhaps that tells us something about the suitability of C++ for kernel development.

[edited by - Sakuranbo on July 8, 2003 9:23:13 PM]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement