Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

logic monkey

Tetris-clone walkthrough tutorial?

logic monkey    122
Are there any sites with tutorials that will take me thru the entire process of building a simple game in C++ like Tetris, Breakout or something even more basic? I''ve found lots of sites that deal with specific aspects of game programming but can''t find one that gives the complete picture as well as the code. I would love nothing more than to download the code to a complete game and then read about how each bit works. If a website doesn''t exist, is there a book that does something like this? Thanks

Valderman    513
A member of this forum has written an excellent walkthrough on the topic.
(I am VERY sorry, I couldn't resist!)

Seriously now, I don't know of any such article, but I myself have written a Tetris clone which is available for download, along with the source code. You could download it and check if you understand the sourcecode. It's available from http://valderman.cjb.net/, click the 'Tetartime' link in the 'Downloads' menu. (Stupid brinkster doesn't allow offsite linking.)

If you feel this wasn't really what you were looking for, perhaps you should check out the Enginuity series by Richard Fine, which is currently featured on the main page. It doesn't go through the entire process of making a complete game, but it creates a game engine (basically the core of your game, a very large part of the coding goes into the engine) from the ground up. It is a very good article series, but it requires good C++ skills if you want to understand it.

"For crying out loud, she has fishes coming out of her head on either side. How can you find this hot?!"

"If anyone sees a suspicious, camouflaged factory being carried across the desert, they should report it immediately ."

[edited by - Valderman on July 7, 2003 7:39:18 PM]

logic monkey    122
Went to the site and its not in the downloads area. I found mention of it in the Projects section but no link to download it. I think I would be very interested in seeing it. Thx

Guest Anonymous Poster   
Guest Anonymous Poster
<A HREF="http://www.pscode.com/vb/scripts/ShowCode.asp?txtCodeId=4724&lngWId=3">Heres One</A>