Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hmmmm . . . . VC++ Help?

This topic is 6391 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

- I give up. I have been reading four different books for about a month now, MS "Programming for Windows" and "Using VC++", as well as two widely-regarded 3D game ''secrets'' books, and I can''t get anything that requires the DirectX shi* to work. All four books claim to reference VC++ 6 but the problem is that in all those books, I can''t find anywhere that tells how to use the DirectX .LIB files, or where to put the DirectX header files in the project (the only header file in a simple Windows app goes into the external dependencies folder, and just about all the book examples in all the books start from projects). The MS books & help files say what a library is, where they are found and what they do, but not how to use one that they didn''t already include. I can only guess that it''s really really easy, because apparently everybody decided they didn''t need to explain how to do it.

You want to add a library file to your project? Go to Project->Settings->Link. Add the name of the lib file (ddraw.lib for example) to the "Object/library modules" textbox. It's been some time now since I've used VC++, but I think what I said right now is correct

/. Muzzafarath
Mad House Software

Edited by - Muzzafarath on June 18, 2000 8:19:19 AM

Yeah, you''re right Muzz.

Also make sure your DirectX SDK include directory is the highest priority to search in. Go to tools -> options -> directories. Then specify where you installed your directx sdk \lib for libaries and sdk \include for include files.

Plus - also check you are putting this somewhere in your program:

#include <insertyourheaderfilename.h>

/home/./~jumble
---------------

- Thanks so much. :D -Someone e-mailed to say that the method is explained in the MS DirectX & D3D books, but those I ain''t got. Also said it''s in the mssdk help file (Doh!) -didn''t check there; I was certain it would be covered in one of the -paper- books I had. - Lubb

Lubb:

It''s GOOD that it DOESN''T hook itself directly into VC++. Just consider what they might do wrong, thinking they are doing the right thing. I tend to be frantic about other third party products (especially from Microsoft) messing with my development environment . Nonetheless, it might be an option when installing the SDK.

Take care,

MK42