glowing effects

Started by
2 comments, last by Syrillix 20 years, 9 months ago
not sure on how to do this properly... my first guess would be to scale the mesh up then redraw it with just diffuse color, no textures and use a bit of alpha.. anyone know another way or whether or not my suggested way will work? Get busy livin'' or get busy dyin''... - Shawshank Redemption Altered Vision
Get busy livin' or get busy dyin'... - Shawshank RedemptionIf a man is talking in the forest, and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong? - UnknownFulcrum
Advertisement
well, I didn't understand your thing up there about scaling ans stuff but this is what come to my mind about glowing effects.

You could either go in 3DSmax and make some beautiful glowing effects (goto Render->Render Effects and add a Lens Flare, Glow , etc .. etc) On a blck background and use the black as a color key for transparency. This allows for complex glow effects that have streaks and stars and outer and inner glows.

For a very simple glow I think that you could make four polygons, Pure white, then arrange the alpha values as follows:

1.0---1.0    
|*****|******|
|*****|******|
|1.0***|0.0****|
|*****|******|
|*****|******|
|*****|******|

So only the middle vertex/vertices has/have a zero alpha. this creates a nice circular fading of alpha value for you. Then combined with the white color, and also alpha values turned on you have Something Like a glow ... It might not look as good as a texture but It gives you lots and luts of fellow frames to spare.... imo

cheers
-Nims

-edit-
Doh! the forum screwed up my beautiful diagram, I had to replace spaces with *s

[edited by - Nims on July 7, 2003 9:10:44 PM]
What Nims describes is for billboarded glow effects and is a common way of achieving many nice things (particularly when lots are used together with additive blending modes).

For post process blurs/fake HDR glows etc, the common way is to render into a texture and use multitexturing/multipass to essentialy perform a filter with the kernel of your choice.

For the general technique of using render to texture and doing realtime/accelerated kernels, check out the nVidia effects browser (developer.nvidia.com), they have examples of edge detects, blurs etc.

For lots of nice special effects, check out the GDC presentation by Masaki Kawase regarding the effects in Wreckless/Double S.T.E.A.L: http://www.daionet.gr.jp/~masa/column/2003-03-21.html (the page is in Japanese but the .ppt is in English).

For proper HDR and to get some nice test data/proper light probe stuff, Paul Debevec''s site should be of interest: http://www.debevec.org

--
Simon O''Connor
ex -Creative Asylum
Programmer &
Microsoft MVP

Simon O'Connor | Technical Director (Newcastle) Lockwood Publishing | LinkedIn | Personal site

yeah, i read that (nvidia) article.. your referring to the technique tron used?
at any rate i think i should be clearer about what type of glow i want.. basically, around the edges of any 3d model, so that the glow itself is the shape of the model.. my method above describes what i had in mind (although rather costly method i admit), but im still not sure what it would look like or if it would even work the way i intend it to, i guess theres only one real way to find out

Get busy livin'' or get busy dyin''... - Shawshank Redemption
Altered Vision
Get busy livin' or get busy dyin'... - Shawshank RedemptionIf a man is talking in the forest, and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong? - UnknownFulcrum

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement