Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Obscure missing triangles with bright colours.

This topic is 5276 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I''ve got a question about obscure gl behaviour and am at a loss for solutions. I have a medium-sized mesh of trangle fans, plain, unshaded, untextured. These fans can be drawn using glBegin/glVertex/glEnd or by calling glDrawElements (the result is the same in either case). If I set the vertex colours to _any_ colour (as long as it''s not bright white) when I draw the mesh then everything turns out mostly ok. If, however, I use bright white (or colours very near to white) (i.e. glColor3f(1,1,1)) then I get a very strange triangle popping/flickering effect; where random vertices in my triangle fans flicker toward some random point in space. The triangles aren''t actually _disappearing_, just triangulating with some common point. I''m running a nVidia Geforce 2 GTS on Win32, and initially thought it was a driver problem, but I''ve incrementally rolled back several driver revisions (44.03 -> 40.41) to no avail. Annoyingly, if I boot into Linux, and run almost exactly the same code, this effect doesn''t happen. Nor does this effect happen in OpenGL games (either OS). Has anybody seen/experienced/fixed such a strange effect before??? Any help greatly appreciated. Jans.

If the problem is what I think it is, then yes, Ive seen the problem myself.

I was creating a tesselated filed for a terrain, and sometimes, at certain number of subdevisions, I would get the effect you re describing. I have no idea whats causing it, or how to make it go away.

Im using a TNT2 btw.

quote:
Original post by Jansic

The triangles aren't actually _disappearing_, just triangulating with some common point.

Jans.

Isn't this what a triangle fan does ??? A screen shot would be very helpful, and maybe the relevant portion of code.

[edited by - jeffno10 on July 8, 2003 4:42:01 AM]

quote:
Original post by Jeffno10
Isn't this what a triangle fan does ??? A screen shot would be very helpful, and maybe the relevant portion of code.

Yes, that's what a triangle fan does, what I'm saying is that triangles from _other_ fans are randomly connecting themselves to the same random point; but _only_ when they're coloured white.

A screenshot is hard to get at the moment as I'm at work (miles away from the code)

The general gist of the code goes something like:

// For all fans

CVertex3 *pVertices = /*start of this fan's vertices*/;
INT32 *pIndices = /*start of this fan's indices*/;
::glBegin(GL_TRIANGLE_FAN)
::glColor3f(1,1,1); // happens only using this colour

for (loop=0 to 10 exclusive)
::glVertex3f(pVertices[pIndices[loop]].x,
pVertices[pIndices[loop]].y,
pVertices[pIndices[loop]].z);
::glEnd();

Doesn't matter how simple I make the source it still happens, I need only draw one triangle of each fan to cause the effect.

Jans.

[edited by - jansic on July 8, 2003 5:21:01 AM]

For those even remotely interested...

http://www.cathelius.co.uk/temp/broken.zip

and

http://www.cathelius.co.uk/temp/better.zip

Two screen captures (avi''s) of the two situations, and the offending line of code in view...

Waaaah.

Jans.