Very simple

Started by
7 comments, last by hello2k1 20 years, 9 months ago
Sorry... but I''ve changed the names of my classes/functions for my physics engine that it''s starting to annoy me. Could someone please tell me what the name for a push/pull force is? Right now my engine is broken down like this: Velocity->Angular Velocity Acceleration->Angular Acceleration (What goes here?)->Torque Thank you
------------------------------There are 10 types of people in this world, those who know binary, and those who don't.
Advertisement
why not use the word Force?
I thought about that... but I think force is too general. Anything else?
------------------------------There are 10 types of people in this world, those who know binary, and those who don't.
well a pull force could be tension, like in a rope or cable. But in my opinion force is the most related word to torque, since torque is a force applied at a distance
As far as a push force I have no idea of another name
Compression is the opposite of tension, and are used for distinguishing push from pull, but I think Force still fits a lot better.
''Too general''? What kind of forces don''t cause torques (and don''t say force couples)?
Momentum
velocity and angular velocity are analogs,
acceleration and angular acceleration are analogs,
momentum and angular momentum are analogs,
and force and torque are analogs.
From a purely dimensional standpoint, force is the right word. Force and torque represent the exact same amount of specific-ness; just as there are push and pull forces, there can be push and pull torques.

[edited by - vanillacoke on July 9, 2003 9:03:01 PM]
You know what I never noticed before?
I agree with some of the others here. Just use Force. If a particular way of interacting with an object either pushes or pulls, you can perhaps give that instance of Force a name, such as CharacterPushingForce or CharacterPullingForce that would be added together with all other forces to calculate the total force on the object. But these are game-specific uses of the general-purpose Force. I just don''t like the idea of putting game-specific names into your engine that presumably you might want to use later for an entirely different type of game that doesn''t have the same type of specific forces.

Graham Rhodes
Senior Scientist
Applied Research Associates, Inc.
Graham Rhodes Moderator, Math & Physics forum @ gamedev.net

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement