skeletel animation

Started by
9 comments, last by supagu 20 years, 7 months ago
for my engine ive been using ascii format instead of binary, so im looking to see if there is a plugin for max that can export bone data in ascii format, ive looked at ASE (which i use for my models), but it doesnt seem to include bone data. im looking in particular for exporting from 3d max. any ideas appreciated. edit: i hear ASE can export bone data, ene 1 know any places that say how the data is layed out in the file?
Advertisement
I want to look into implementing bones in my engine too, but there doesnt seem to be much info on the net on how i can extract the required data from .3ds or other formats.

I''m not very sure how i would implement it either but i don''t think it should be too hard.
I have just coded an ASE loader and it loads the bone data. The bones and dummies are stored in the *HELPEROBJECT. I think you have to tick a box in the exporter to tell it to export the helper data.

I do not know how to use the data to play the anim yet but I have rendered there positions, and it all look correct.
You could wright the pluggin your self, 3D Studio Max''s website should have loads of info on there API for pluggin making i know Maya has great info on there API. I think studio is a scene graph, so there would be some kind of node representing it, just find the class in the API, go through the scene and export it to your engines format.
DirectX SDK comes with a max plugin to export .X files, with bone data and skin weights if you''re using Character Studio. .X files can be text.

I like pie.
[sub]My spoon is too big.[/sub]
I posted my exporter in another thread...it''s written in max script, and exports to XML (an easy text format to understand)...maybe that code will help you figure out what you''re looking for.

http://gamedev.net/community/forums/topic.asp?topic_id=177575
I''m new to all of this so if my question sounds silly, please explain. My question is: What engine are you using?

So far I have noticed that 3D Game Studio is very prevalent among nonprogrammers. The torque game engine is held with high esteem in all posts BUT the Amp II game system has a phenomenal renderer which is paramount for my personal project. I''ve just taken a look at the Cipher engine and it produces stunning images.

S
my own engine ;p
What engine would you suggest for someone that is just starting out? The quality of the renderer is very important. Interactivity, at first, will be held to a minimum.

S
I''d have to say that it''s best to write your own, or find one that you will be comfortable working with. I think there''s a lot of knowledge to be gained by writing your own.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement