my monitor sounds like it's getting ready to explode using d3d9

Started by
8 comments, last by ggoodwin37 20 years, 9 months ago
I''m just working on a really basic 3d geometry test program and when I run it, my monitor emits a supersonic squeel that is very noticeable...is this normal, or am I doing something wrong in my code? Commercial games don''t do it. Am I flipping the backbuffer too often or something?
Advertisement
Hhz is too high for the resolution you are going into. Lower it some.
ur frequency is to high or to low, so the monitor cant display it, and YES ur monitor will get serious damage!!! (my one was killed by a comercial game demo running high above limit...) so if u hear or see that something''s wrong, act fast, reset ur comp or turn of the monitor... and never let the user choose a frequency/refreshrate his monitor doesnt support

T2k
strange, I thought I specified to use the default hz. Oh well, I''ll look into it. Thanks.
I noticed that the dx9 sdk samples (windowed mode) also have the same problem! But no full commercial game does. It is driving me insane, this high-pitched barely audible sound coming from my monitor. It more of a feeling than a sound, and it very noticeably goes away when the program ends. I''ve double-checked that I''m using the adapter default refresh rate. Anybody know anything about this problem?
hmm... let it do it for a long time, like go out for the evening while it runs and come back. Get back to us and tell us what happened :D

James Simmons
MindEngine Development
http://medev.sourceforge.net
Actually, I did that already, nothing went wrong. I don''t think the monitor is in danger, it is just bugging me. The microsoft sdk samples do it too. This may be a dumb question, but would anyone be willing to download my exe and see if they can hear the sound? I tested it on a couple people and nobody could hear it. I wonder if I''m just going insane? Anyway, the file is 103 kb and I''ll email it to you if you are willing to check it out for me.
My montior makes this brain melting high pitch noise when set to 1024x786. I don''t imagine it''s a sign of damage, but it does make that resolution completely unusable.
yeah, that''s the resolution I''m at too. I should test at other resolutions, I suppose. The thing is, I run games at 1024*768 all the time and I never noticed the sound before.

So...any takers on testing my app on their machine? PLEEEEAASE???
bump

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement