Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

version question (directx 8 and 9)

This topic is 5271 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hiya, i asked something similar before, ok i know directx 8 applications will work on directx 9.0 environment, but can i take that application in directx 8.0 and edit it,add stuff, compile it and rebuild an exe under 9.0 environment (headers and libs) ? Regards, kalash

If you are saying you want to install DX9 and still be able to build your DX8 programs, then you can (maybe with minor editing) since every version of DX comes with all previous versions packed in with it.

If you are saying you want to take your DX8 app and convert it to use DX9, then check out the "What''s New" section of the DX9 documentation. It gives you a complete guide to porting DX8 apps to DX9. Not much has changed really. More support for pixel/vertex shaders has been added, but the layout of SDK hasn''t changed at all hardly so most of your code will stay exactly the same.

quote:
Original post by Aldacron
Yes. Not only is the runtime backwards compatible, but so is the SDK.

Some changes have been made to the API, so just compiling might not work. It''s just subtle changes though, most of the time (like an argument moved to another place, etc).

If what he meant was just to compile his IDirect3D8 interfaces, then just ignore what I said ;p