Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

fup

What do you think to the GameDev competition guys?

fup    463
I thinks it''s great to see everyone getting enthusiastic about AI rather than multi-pass procedural texturing, Nvidia shader technology and oct-trees oct-trees oct-trees oct-trees oct-trees! Are any of you guys thinking of entering? I''d love to have a bit of fun and enter but I''m waaay too busy prior to my move to India. Should be fun to watch though. My Website: ai-junkie.com | My Book: AI Techniques for Game Programming

teamonkey    200
Certainly sounds like fun - both the GameDev and AI-Junkie competitions - and seems like a good way to enhance my (meagre) AI skillz...

...if I can find the time, that is

[teamonkey]

PouyaCat    590
I am most definatly going to be in it, with a PouyaCatBot. I''m currently allready working out how to adapt one of my older bot AI''s for this contest. Then again... since I only lurk in those forum and don''t post, I doubt I''m one of "you guys" huh?

MikeD    158
quote:
Original post by fup
What''s the Frozen Throne Mike? Another Lionhead project? I''ve not heard of that one.

On the vague chance this is not sarcasm , The Frozen Throne is the new add on pack for Warcraft 3, delivered to my desk the day after Peter Molyneux made me announce to the company there''d be no more games at lunch due to getting Fable finished.

How this life pains me

RPGeezus    216
The contest sounds like a blast. I hope we can watch the deathmatches.

I will not be participating though-- too many projects on the go during the summer (home renos, etc...).

Based on my average ranking from various Counter-Strike servers that I frequent, I''m in the top 0.7 percentile (out of 10000 I would rank 70). I would love to discuss strategy with anybody trying to give their bot a ''human'' edge..

Good luck to all who participate,
Will

fup    463
It wasn''t sarcasm, I''ve been too busy recently to be able to keep up to date with everything (I still have an unopened copy of Warcraft 3 by my desk!)Hopefully, when I''m in India I''ll have a little time to play some games. I''m looking forward to it.

No games at lunchtime eh? Hard times indeed. You Lionhead boys must be busy.

My Website: ai-junkie.com | My Book: AI Techniques for Game Programming

fup    463
"Yeah, it''s almost like this is an actual JOB and we WORK for a living "

Good Lord! You don''t want to plumb those depths. Working for a living is definitely not a good idea. I tried it once, and it hurt.

Guest Anonymous Poster   
Guest Anonymous Poster
"Yeah, it''s almost like this is an actual JOB and we WORK for a living"
- Don''t work to hard now hey.. wouldn''t want to break a nail or some such defending azeroth... =)

As for this competition, I''d love to enter but I don''t think camper bots would be respected =D

stevie56    145
I think the competition is a great idea and one that I think was run a number of years ago (DOS-based).

Then, the language was Pascal not C/C++., but basically the same idea where two or more code fragments are compiled inside an arena module, and they have to fight it out (or survive for a given length of time).

Sadly, I won''t be entering. My language of choice is Delphi, so cannot meet the requirements.

Wish all entrants good luck.

Stevie

Don''t follow me, I''m lost.

baylor    122
quote:
Original post by fup
Are any of you guys thinking of entering?

i have a billion projects going on this summer (AIISC, UT2003 mod tourney, looking for grad schools, taking the GRE, my movie stuff, trying to fluff my resume/grad shool apps, etc.) but there''s no way i''d miss this. The only question is if i give it enough time to make a good bot. But good or bad, i think it''d be fun to play

As for the contest itself, i have no idea if the game will be good, i''m not a huge fan of deathmatch and there will likely be lots of problems. It''s a 1.0 release, right, so it''s like the guinea pig that we test some ideas out on. What i''m really excited about is that the contest owner will learn a lot, get a lot of really good ideas and make a 2.0 and 3.0 contest. i figure this first contest is just the appetizer and even cooler things are coming next

i''m just sad i can only enter one bot

-baylor

Timkin    864
quote:
Original post by fup
Good Lord! You don''t want to plumb those depths. Working for a living is definitely not a good idea. I tried it once, and it hurt.

Tell me about it! I''ve been cursed with a ''Real Job'' (tm) and it definitely hurts!

As for games... I don''t even own a copy of Warcraft 3... that''s how out of date I am (well, actually I own a copy of BF 1942 and that takes up all the time between family, work, my research and EQ)!

As for this contest, as much as I''d like to, I doubt it. While I have the bones (and CNS!) of a bot in the form of my CFS-Predator system, I doubt I would have enough time to mod it for the domain and test it out. Who knows though, maybe I''ll be a surprise last minute entry!

Cheers,

Timkin

Guest Anonymous Poster   
Guest Anonymous Poster
I liked this quote:
Based on my average ranking from various Counter-Strike servers that I frequent, I''m in the top 0.7 percentile (out of 10000 I would rank 70). I would love to discuss strategy with anybody trying to give their bot a ''human'' edge..

How is it that EVERYONE can be a counter strike master? Personally I think that game is very noob friendly. Has anyone else noticed that everyone you talk to that plays it is in the top 10% or better? I wonder if I will ever meet anyone who sucks at CS........

RolandofGilead    100
Can''t wait. Wish I had a commercial ai library working. Great advertising if it won.

quote:
Original post by fup
(I still have an unopened copy of Warcraft 3 by my desk!)

Oh, boy, I''ve been waiting for an excuse to post this,
I have unopened leaning on my desk and I''m not kidding:

Starlancer(and boy am I pissed there isn''t a mission editor)
Oni
O.R.B.(off-world resource base, got it cause it was cheaper than Hegemonia: Legions of Iron, ooh, I see a vs. thread in the lounge coming up)
Imperium Galactica II:Alliances
Homeworld
Half-Life

It''d be nice to be God so people wouldn''t hassle me when I do things at random.

RPGeezus    216
quote:
Original post by Anonymous Poster
I liked this quote:

How is it that EVERYONE can be a counter strike master? Personally I think that game is very noob friendly. Has anyone else noticed that everyone you talk to that plays it is in the top 10% or better? I wonder if I will ever meet anyone who sucks at CS........

Lol. Being in the top 10% is not uncommon, cosidering that at any given moment tens of thousands of people are playing CS on Canadian servers. I would guess the numbers in the US and Europe would be considerably higher. If you can get at least 1:1 consistantly, you''re probably in the top 10%. Most true noobs die at least 10 times for each kill they make.

The problem is moving beyond the top 10%. The competition becomes very tough. To the uninitaited, anyone in the top 1% looks like a cheater because they can get kills so easily. Basically what I''m saying is that if I''m ranked 60 on a decent server, chances are the guy ranked at 20 can kick the snot out of me without any trouble.

Cheers,
Will

ahw    263
So... WHEN exactly are they posting the specs for the DLL ? My fingers are itching for code, and this might be jsut what I needed to get my juices flowing again.

Sancte Isidore ora pro nobis !

baylor    122
[quoteHow is it that EVERYONE can be a counter strike master?
I wonder if I will ever meet anyone who sucks at CS........

i''m in the top 95%

i have a magical magnetic helmet that attracts bullets. i like to think of myself as helping my teammates by catching their bullets for them

-b

xf00f    122
Must be particularly magical - lead don''t tend to get affected by magentic fields

As for the comp - I''m tempted, but it will be a first try. Just downloaded l33twar to have a few practice runs, but I think the comp will be harder by the sound of it. Oh well - someones gotta lose - might as well be me

CoMaNdore    223
sorry to break the news to you guys but the fact is that:
cs is lame ass boring!

It was fun, but now theres a LOT of more fun stuff.. its time to move on .. and let the flow of life drag you along its river !**

Anyway i will be entering but i my bot will ofc get 0wned !
but that doesnt mather.. *i just hope the best botmakers publish there source so i can Look ''n Learn ...

fup: your book owns every online tutorial i have seen !
*to bad you had to have the win32 things there tho ...*