Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Damocles

please help beta test my new game "SliderZ"

I'm nearing completion of my first game (woo!) and am looking to release it as shareware, but before I do I would like your help. Could you guys please download it (it's less then 500k) and give the beta version some play testing. I need to know how well it runs on other computers. Linky: Download Sliders (zipper executable windows setup program) It runs on Windows machines and is made using OpenGL only. There is currently no sound so there should be no real problems with compatability, only potential for older computers choking a little. (press the 'f' key to toggle FPS on/off) The game is simple to play, you have a grid of tiles of varying colours and one space. Move tiles into the space to match two coloured tiles together - these tiles then die and are replaced by two others. Here's the rub - each tile you move will cost you movement points. Each pair you match will gain you movement points. If you match one pair, then another, then another etc you create chains and the movement points/score you get increases with each match in the chain. The goal of the game is to get the special Lock and Key tiles next to each other to complete the level. Special tiles appear on later levels - match two of these tiles together to release the special ability they contain: shuffle - looks like two arrows circling two blocks. This will randomly shuffle the coloured tiles on the level. move bonus - looks like little feet. Matching these gives a large movement points bonus. bomb - looks like, well, a bomb. Match these and the surrounding tiles are destroyed and replaced. Only bombs can remove wall tiles. walls - looks like dry-wall tiles. Immovable and must be blown up to get beyond them. The beta version is lacking some functionality - you can't save high scores (or even get on the board), there are no options to speak of and no sound effects. Special effects for the bomb tiles are not in place yet, but they do work. The graphics need general spit and polish before final release, but other than that most things are in place. KNOWN BUGS: There is one serious bug where occasionally a tile becomes kind of a 'dud' and refuses to match to any other tiles. A cheat is still in place where pressing the 'l' key will advance one level, but you wouldn't use that, would you? Please let me know of any bugs or issues you find, or if you find it runs slowly on your setup. Also, if you have any suggestions, let me know. Either reply here, or mail me on Dave88@ntlworld.com Thanks for your help and support.

If I press ''Escape'' during the game to go to the menu, the timer keeps running. When the game ends and I click ''main menu'', it crashes (likely since I''m already in the main menu).

Also, it was too hard.

please, post a zip/rar file w/ the game itself. i don''t feel like installing any beta software i am most likely to delete in a few days anyway (max) on this already barely-workign windows 2k install. =\

only have installs for final versions, please. just my .02.

---
shurcool
wwdev

joe-bob - thanks, missed that one. But too hard? It''s not supposed to be too easy, and the first few levels are a walk in the park. Or does your smiley denote that it was too easy? In which case, play beyond around level 5 and it''ll start to get harder.

shurcool - what''s the problem? It has an uninstall file with it which as alongside the program in the start menu, and it adds no registry keys at all. The installer is simply a convenient way of organising the files and avoiding people who always seem to cock-up with zipped game files.

I believe your timer does not work correctly. It starts out with a minute and only takes ~10 seconds to finish. Impossible to complete level 1 like that.

Really? Oh crap, what the hell is wrong with that then?

I use getTickCount() to calculate the delta time, not the most accurate I know, but usually suffices for non-intensive apps like this one.

Edit:
Try it again now. Either use the link at the top and reinstall, or use this link to download a zip of just the exe:

Sliders EXE only in zip format

If this doesn't work, then something is screwy....

[edited by - damocles on July 8, 2003 4:41:58 PM]

is it that hard to provide a .zip file w/ the data files in it too? =\ that way i just open it, and run the file... instead of installing, then running it, then uninstalling, etc.

ps. use winrar, it''s way better.

---
shurcool
wwdev

Same thing, timer goes extremely fast.
I use GetTickCount in my apps as well, never had a problem with it.

Must be some other operation gone wrong.

ok, I switched to using a higher resolution timer, and a couple of people have tested it and said it works fine now, so fingers crossed.

However, I have since added some small features to the game so you will need to download the setup file using the top link again if you have an older version.

Shurcool, a zip/rar is coming shortly....

Thanks for your help so far guys. Much appreciated

Hmm, weird I can''t seem to recreate that error, but I''ll look through the code, see if I can find a possible cause. Thanks joe-bob

I have seen a few problems with your game. When I click on new game for the first time it play fine. However when I escape to the main menu and click on the new game again the game loads and just freezes. It allows you to go back to the main menu but it will carry on freezing if you click on a new game.

I also get an error box pop up now and again when I have quit the game.

Question - can I return to my current game after escaping to the main menu?

Hope that helps!

Thanks Evil-Kind, I have managed to fix the problem where sometimes the game freezes when starting several games.

The occasional error on shutdown is still there, but hopefully I''ll track that little bugger down soon.

At the moment you can''t resume a game - that''s something I need to add in for the final version.

Good game, but isn''t limited time and movement a tad tough? Also, when is sound/music going in? All in all, nice job.

HellspawnXIII
Build a man a fire, and he''ll be warm for a day. Set him on fire, and he''ll be warm for the rest of his life.

Very nice little game.I like it a lot!As a game developer i noticed some small bugs but as i can see they are already mentioned here.Anyway keep up the good work!

"You losers better learn...NOONE CONTROLS OUR GOD DAMN LIFE!!!" - MANOWAR

Yeah time limited and move limited is a little tough, in the final version I''m going to add the option to turn off the time limit, however, doing so will halve all points gained, giving the incentive to play against the clock.

Once you get practised at the game, the time isn''t really a problem. I haven''t lost a game to time for ages. When I say ages, I mean in game terms, seeing as I only started developing this 3 days ago

One thing some people might find annoying is the way the current version doesn''t let you move the next tile until the last move has completed - this will be gone for the final version, allowing faster games.

I don''t think the computer I am using likes your graphic mode or something like that. When I run the program everything gets all scrambled up. I can tell what is the cursor & that it is supposed to be some menu, but I cant read anything on it. I then quit and tryed again & it wouldn''t even load.

It probably has more to do with this computer than your program though.

Platinum, could you please tell me what your system specs are?

I need to know:

graphics card and drivers/driver version
Direct X version
windows version
RAM amount/type

Thanks

I get that too, except opening it again works fine for me (still the messed up graphics though). The problem may be that I do not have anywhere near a recent version of DX installed. I just formatted and my current game uses OpenGL so I have not installed it yet. You may want to add a dialog box warning of this problem if indeed that is the source of the error.
-Greg

Reverie Entertainment

This game uses openGL as well, but it also uses DXTC5 compression. I have no idea if you require DirectX installed to use that compression though - I may simply remove the compression altogether just in case. The game doesn''t need it, I just had it left in because I borrowed the renderer from another project I''m working on.