Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ReaperSMS

OpenGL Obscure opengl issue in win2k

%&*#@( browser''s eaten this post 5X already, so forgive me for being a bit terse: System: Win2k MSI KT333A mobo, latest 4in1 drivers NVidia 44.03 drivers GFFX 5900 Ultra AGP Aperature size is set to 256 MB Symptoms: glinfo, serious sam, other OpenGL apps only get GDI Generic for the renderer -- results in the complicated nvidia demos dying horrible deaths due to lack of extensions, SSam reverting to D3D mode, etc. Things I''ve checked/tried: Reinstalled the nvidia drivers a time or three. Fiddled with the desktop resolution/depth, though if 256 MB isn''t enough to hold a FB, I dunno what is. Checked the registry, saw a suspicious OverrideRedirect key, tried setting it to 0, 1, and 2, no changes. Tried both ports on the back of the card, just in case it thought the analog one was always a second device. Tried a few different settings in the driver for how to handle the video ports. Checked win.ini for DVA=0, not in there. Anyone have any more ideas for things that might be going wrong, or should I just take off and nuke the entire thing from orbit?

1. try using the drivers that came with the card
2. format and reinstall everything
3. try another win version (98 still rules)

/*ilici*/

Tried the drivers with the card first.

The format and reinstall is going to happen anyways, new HD and whatnot coming in later this week.

Win 98 is not a stable OS =P

Did this just start when you installed the FX5900? It may be that your Primary Video Device setting in the BIOS was changed from AGP to PCI. Mine did just the other day when I popped in my FX5200 (~$97US!). I didn''t actually run anything when it was set to PCI, so I don''t know if those are the right symptoms, but you might want to check that out.

--Buzzy

I''m fairly certain it was a new thing, but it wasn''t the PCI/AGP option.

There was a rogue opengl32.dll sitting in C:\ that seemed to be confusing things a bit. The Dawn demo still crashes instantly, but at least ssam runs in OpenGL like god intended.

Now to get reacquainted with the programmable stuff...