How do you get the borland compiler running?

Started by
6 comments, last by joeyzt 20 years, 9 months ago
i d/led it, the 5.5 free verison, read the readme , created a couple of files as it says to do, but still cant get it running , any tips would be great.
'A library consists of the actual binary code behind the API. You link your game code to the library to make everything work.'
Advertisement
what is the problem exactly? I got it running with no problem.

I got it running with no problems too
Did you read the readme file and setup those bcc32.cfg and ilink.cfg files?

You fight like a dairy farmer.

--{You fight like a dairy farmer!}

It wont start , ive cliked the exe file but nothing happens, ive actually clicked all the files in the ''bin'' folder but nothing, yeah i made a ccouple of cfg files in notepad they save as txt files ?

'A library consists of the actual binary code behind the API. You link your game code to the library to make everything work.'
The Borland compiler tools work from a command line only. There is no IDE included with it. You can double-click on it all you want. It is running, it''s just exiting because you didn''t give it anything to do.

You may want to find a free IDE that you can plug the compiler into. I don''t know of any off-hand that interface well with it but I''m sure someone can point you in the right direction.

Alternately, you can learn to use the command-line interface for the compiler; that''s way beyond the scope of a message board post (besides, I don''t know specifically how Borland''s compiler works from the CLI).

-Auron
yes their text files w/ the *.cfg extension. Make sure they're in the same directory as where you installed the compiler(duh).

The compiler you download is a set of commandline tools. It doesn't have an IDE for you to develop from. The way it works is you type up your source/project whatever and you feed the files to bcc32.exe. For example:
bcc32 myworldwhatever.cpp(you type this up at the command prompt in your installed borland directory)   

If you just use the normal default settings then it should also link everything for you in one step. After the compiler checks for syntax errors etc. it'll produce an excutable file for your program, usually in the form sourcename .exe. That's the basic of how this works.

If you're like me, who prefer to have an IDE to work from, you can do a google for Vide, cEdit, or Relo. You can also google for 'Borland C++ IDE' or something to that effect

Edit: ok one more edit. If all this sounds too complicated, you can consider giving Dev-C++ a try instead. I've heard this IDE is nicely knit in w/ the mingw compiler.

[edited by - Greatwolf on July 8, 2003 7:41:21 PM]

--{You fight like a dairy farmer!}

quote:Original post by Greatwolf
yes their text files w/ the *.cfg extension. Make sure they''re in the same directory as where you installed the compiler(duh).

The compiler you download is a set of commandline tools. It doesn''t have an IDE for you to develop from. The way it works is you type up your source/project whatever and you feed the files to bcc32.exe. For example:
bcc32 myworldwhatever.cpp(you type this up at the command prompt in your installed borland directory)    

If you just use the normal default settings then it should also link everything for you in one step. After the compiler checks for syntax errors etc. it''ll produce an excutable file for your program, usually in the form sourcename .exe. That''s the basic of how this works.

If you''re like me, who prefer to have an IDE to work from, you can do a google for Vide, cEdit, or Relo. You can also google for ''Borland C++ IDE'' or something to that effect

Edit: ok one more edit. If all this sounds too complicated, you can consider giving Dev-C++ a try instead. I''ve heard this IDE is nicely knit in w/ the mingw compiler.

[edited by - Greatwolf on July 8, 2003 7:41:21 PM]

yup, thanks for all that, ive actually got dev C++ been using it for a coulp of weeks, but apparently borland has some extra features, or maybe its just the full version that has that.

Who knows! in the last 3 weeks or so i''ve taken in so much info on compilers, c/c#/c++, IDE''s, API''s, GUI''s, engines, opengl, directx, allegro, modelling software, even gamemaker, that my heads about to explode! so i cant remember where i read that about borland having extra things.
I don''t know about Borland having ''extra things'' in their compiler, but MingW (Windows port of GCC) is pretty solid.

It is possible to configure DevC++ to use the Borland compiler, but I have never tried it.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement