OpenGL or DirectX

Started by
18 comments, last by MannyZanny 20 years, 9 months ago
What is the difference between OpenGL and DirectX? And which one is better?
Advertisement
Hi,

It really depends on preference. Personally I use OpenGL, because DirectX only works on Windows (AFAIK...). I have used DirectX in the past, and OpenGL seems to be a little easier to use, but it probably depends on what you are doing.
OpenGL is much more flexable thats why OGL is on 1.4 and DX is on 9. OGL is portable to just about any OS/gaming console. OGL is open source so you can view the source. OGL is much easyer.
--------------------------Nukemmsn: nukem996@hotmail.comaim: nukem996open source open mind
some people need to be shot.
"I never let schooling interfere with my education" - Mark Twain
Yes, i prefer opengl because of its easiness to convert to linux and its just overall easiness. I just like it better than DirectX.
I thought this type of thread was forbidden ^_-

Anyway, my opinion on the matter is that its helpful to know them both. Personally I started with OpenGL and worked with it for a year. It took me a while to get a grip with everything but now I''m Ok. Just recently, I''ve switched to DirectX, and found it amazingly simple to learn. I''m not saying thats because DirectX is overly simple (its not), its that the experience from Open GL was transferrable to DirectX. Many of the functions are similar in name and operation.

I have found using DirectX more enjoyable though because I didn''t have to write all of the basic stuff ( Matrix/Vector/Quanternion classes) nor do I have to handle the exact texture loading code.

The way I see it is that if you want to make a cross-platform program, use OpenGL, otherwise, if you are planning on making the program ONLY support windows, go with DirectX - you''ll probably save yourself some startup time. At least thats my opinion.
OPENGL IS NOT OPENSOURCE! IT''S JUST AN OPEN STANDARD. THERE IS A HUGE DIFFERENCE.
Sorry, just had to get that out. I hate people who make up crap like that(it''s different for each GPU anyway...) .
-~-The Cow of Darkness-~-
Here we go agian!

Do what I did, add both to your engine. Then you don't have to worry about it.

Nukem:
Saying it's open source is funny by the way. You actually think they would let the general public (Peeps) see how to gain access to the hardware? If they did there would be a zillion graphic libraries. "Oh thats the code to gain access to hardware.... I don't really understand this.... Oh well!!!! copy this here, paste that there... YES, I'M A GOD!"

EDIT: Wonder how long this thread will last.... Oh mods love these!

-UltimaX-

"You wished for a white christmas... Now go shovel your wishes!"

[edited by - UltimaX on July 8, 2003 11:24:27 PM]
Sometimes i wonder how many people actually read the faq. And btw, this is a pretty funny topic to be posting on an opengl forum lol. A little biased perhaps?
Go Glide go!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement