• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Collision response, spinning

This topic is 5307 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am working on the physics/collision part for a racing game. The collision detection works well, and is based on accurate sphere/mesh intersections. But i''m having two problems with the collision response: 1. Say that my "car" has an up velocity (in the 2D case) and is moving paralell to a wall (in black on the next figure). Then there is a curve: At the moment, my object follows the red path, which is what i want. BUT, look at the yellow vector. It represents the current heading (view vector). In my game the velocity and the view vector can be different. I want the heading to stay paralell to the wall in that case, so i need to make the object spin a bit to the left each time a contact is detected. In an early test i did that just by rotating the view depending on the input/output velocities directions, and it works fine except.. it''s not a perfect curve; it''s approximated with polygons. As a consequence, the spinning is done by step of 30° (more or less), and looks jerky. How can i fix that? How can i implement correct spinning with angular velocities/accelerations, that will, after the end of the curve, give me the second yellow vector? Y.

Advertisement
My suggestion is to use a Catmull-Rom interpolation or a Hermite spline interpolation. You could calculate the current location of your object then calculate a position slightly ahead of it and computer a "view vector." This would give you a smooth path along the wall. If you need help with the above interpolations... ask around.

Read about Steering Behaviours.

You need to know path following behaviour.

• Advertisement