Pure Scout

Started by
8 comments, last by LtKicker 20 years, 9 months ago
I''d like to see your opinion on the beginnings of a Design document for a game idea which I have been trying plan out. Pure Scout Written and Reserved by Ryan Robertson Story Overview: In a world of great and maginficant technology, war is about to begin. The Complean Nations usaully at war with themselves have now united to rid the world of good. How this came about can only suggest an evil plot created by something more powerful then the Complea Gods themselves. The only thing in the way of this deadly alliance is the God Simpli and his followers through out the world. Pure new to Simpli is sent out to scout out the Complea Foward base to see what the Complea gods have in store for Simpli. As he gets close to the base he soon discovers that his unit and only way out has been captured. In order for Pure to have any hope of returning he must find a way to rescue his unit from the clutches of the enemy. Soon though as Pure discovers there is something more important that could change the course of events into the enemies favor. Gameplay: This game is top-down view game where you control Pure through out his quest by using the key pad and single button. The battles you engage in the enemies will out number you which will force you to develop strategies that will keep you alive while still defeating your foe. Not only will engage in battles but through out the game will help decide on what bonus missions you will engage in to help other missions become easier. Controls: The controls for the game will consist of the arrow pad and the control key. The arrow pads of course move your character but the control key does multiple things. It normally swings you defense sword at first then if held will defend in the direction you are facing. Also it will allow to activate switches, talk to NPCs and do other generic actions. World: The world you are is in is full of advanced technology created by beings greater than ourselves. There are two primary religions in this world. The ones who believe in Simpli the one god or those who believe in Complean Spirit Gods. There a few primary differences between these two belief systems. Compleans believe in speed, change and complexity. Simplites believe in slowness, stability and simplicity. Most people of this world are a part of Complea belief while a few stand in Simpli. Location: During this game you are in Complea Territory. There are three bases, each one worshipping a specific Complean Spirit God: Thurden, Feri and Waret. Each of these towns have a priest to defeat. Then there is Complea''s Spirit Tower, where the dark force behind the alliance of the Complea gods lay hidden. There are of course several areas in between these points of lesser importance. Focus: The Focus of this game is completing area objectives. Each area has a set of objectives that you can complete. Some are nessecary others are not though each objective completed permantly removes some obsticle or enemy that blocks your path or creates a spot which you can rest in. As the game goes on more objectives are added to the areas due to the increase tension between you and the enemy. Note: Not all objectives are combat based, some are indeed just acts of kindness from Pure to the Compleans. Sorry about the long read but what do you think?
Advertisement
sounds like a simplifed zelda.

In your gameplay you say that you will have to develop stategies to beat the opponets. But if all you can do is walk, block, and attack. Then you strageies will be rather limited.

If the game take place in world with advanced technology why are you armed with a sword? Why not a gun or some other technological weapon?
The idea was to create a character that was more defensive than offensive though you can reflect attacks. And I simplified it to allow for a gameplay that is for waves of attacks and attackers. The strategy is how to get in a position in which you can attack or reflect an attack to your opponent. Also learning about and how to aquire objectives through out the game. This could normal zelda puzzles but mostly what going for is combat system that in itself is a puzzle. Any comments.
quote:
force you to develop strategies that will keep you alive while still defeating your foe

This is key.

I believe that you need to very carefully design, in detail, how this is done. If you can''t do that, you don''t have a game.
Thanks for the tip. I really didn''t think about that until now. Now that I think about this lets come up with a few ideas.

Terrain-This could allow the player to evade attacks by hiding behind a rock or pretty much any thing. Maybe some terrain is destroyable or blows up.

Friendly Fire-Place yourself in a way such that the enemy can''t shoot you with out hitting their allies.

Defense-Block an enemy attack with your defense sword. Or if attacked in close combat stun or hurt the opponent.

Reflect-Reflect enemy attacks back at them with your defense sword.

Attack-Use your defense sword as a weapon.

Any other ideas on this?
Also what do you think of the story idea?
"...the complean nations have united to rid the world of good..."

Huh? What exactly would a world ''ridded of good'' be? What man in his right mind would work for such a thing? How much less, then, would several nations, which must be composed at least partially of men in their right minds?

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

well... sunandshadow is right. Its another black and white good and evil story. but if the game is fun, i dont think a stupid bg story will matter. Never make a book or movie like that though. I hate those.
Note to self: Make story better

Figured out a neat idea for combat. To allow for a more strategy based gameplay I thought what if the enemies only moved if you moved. The game wouldn''t be "move one tile at a time" it would be like an action game in movement and everything else except the pause when you dont move.

Also a little information on why I''m making this game. I''m trying to make a christian game that doesn''t pound you on the head with this and that (usualy scipture) like the the STUPID HIPPY CHRISTIAN CRAP companies that are out there. It just to teach the truth through osmosis. Hope that discourage you from posting. I''m trying make a game idea that would be a hit yet christian at the same time (take a look at the bible).

Thanks for listening and continue posting Please.
EXTRA EXTRA:
All Time Shortest Design Doco

I know it''s at its beginnings, so I won''t say anything else. Not a bad concept.

Cheers, comrade
Kyle Evans,
Artificial entertainment [Movie/Game Reviews]
Editor In Chief - IGWorld.com
Cheers, comrade Kyle Evans,Artificial entertainment [Movie/Game Reviews]Contact: kyser3152@yahoo.com.au
i think some games are good for their simplicity. for example the first zelda game is heralded as an addictive classic that even some of today''s rpgs cannot outshine. scout seems to have some of that old school charm. it may not make waves with flashy graphics or new innovations but it sounds like it''s generally fun to play.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement