Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Analyzing profiler results

This topic is 5274 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I ran my code through a profiler just now. The results I got are pretty interesting, and I''m pleased with them, but I have a concern. I''m using Kyra (SDL sprite engine) and SDL. What I noticed is that MOST (probably 97%) of the time for my function calls were spent in Kyra or SDL functions. I am not worried about that, it''s really the way I want it to be. The first function of mine to even show in the profiler was ParticleEngine::DoLogic(), and it only took 0.6% of the total time of the program run! This is a decent sized project. Minus the kyra stuff, I have 37 total source files, several configuration files (text files,) media graphics files... and the project is only about 60% completed. Probably around 4,500 lines of code so far. My concern is, if there were a bottleneck in my code, how do I find it if my code only takes about 3% of execution time? VC++6''s profiler gives me Function Time, Function Time %, Function + child time, Func+Child Time %, and Hit count. Which is these is most important in finding bottlenecks? Any tips on how to use VC''s profiler? Or even, should I be using another one?