Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Syrus

Alpha blending in games

Hi i want to use alpha blending in my game but it seems very slow. I am asking for every good optimization you know that can help me. I can''t use colorkey for passive objects like scout tower, wall, house etc. because it does not look like part of the nature itself if you know what i want to say. In another way i can use this for charachters. Please if you can help me to do best optimization with alpha blending(half transparent edges).It is 2D game. thx!

The alpha blening itself ain''t slow when performed on the hardware.I''ve saw over 20,000 alpha blended particles running 0n 200 FPS for second so i suppose your problem is other.Are you calling glEnable/glDisable and other state functions for each object?They are EXTREMELY expensive you know!

"You losers better learn...NOONE CONTROLS OUR GOD DAMN LIFE!!!" - MANOWAR

Let''s see now... Off the top of my head, I''d recommend the following:

First off, try rearranging your renderings so that all opaque elements (No alpha involved) are rendered.
THEN render all elements that involve alpha (this way your render states are setup once).

Other tips: Add an ''alpha test'', meaning if the alpha is below 5% or whatever, the hardware won''t even bother drawing the pixel. Which saves on Z-buffer work and texel work.

You''re working on DirectX or OpenGL?

=^.^= Leaders and teachers should remember: It is best to offer others what they Need, not what they Want.

Right, well as Mihail and I said
1-Make sure you setup your ''opaque'' render states once.
2-Render all opaque geometry, minimize the number of drawprimitive by batching. You shouldn''t have to make -any- render state changes other than texture shifts.
3-Setup your ''alpha-ready'' render states once.
4-Render all alpha-blended geometry. Again, batch primitives together to minimize the number of DrawPrimitive calls.

If that doesn''t work, maybe you''re working in software mode or in Reference mode (which is always atrociously slow) rather than in Hardware T&L.

Hope this helps.