• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

floydude

shader (*.fx) debugee

This topic is 5488 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

People, how do you get the shader debuger in the VS.net+DX9.0 environment. im trying to get my hands dirty with the HLSL way of writing shaders(both vertex and pixel) and its results are cool. but how do you put a breakpoint/step in the shader efects(*.fx) file? The msdn help on the topic is at the most simply confusing, i have tried it all.

Advertisement
Okay i posed the question and now i have a partial solution. its possible to debug PIXEL shaders when the device specified in g_pD3D->CreateDevice is a REF device(HAL devices cant be debugged) and the flag specified in D3DXAssembleShaderFromFile or D3DXCreateEffectFromFile is D3DXSHADER_DEBUG(its diff. from what msdn specifies- D3DXASM_DEBUG flag was discontinued after DirectX8.1). This allows breakpoints/stepping in either *.vsh(precompiled) or *.fx(compiled at runtime) files. However the problem remains debuging Vertex Shaders. Any suggestions?

Another issue is using software rendering. Any workarounds?

-floydude

Pixel shader debugging only works with ref rast.

Vertex shader debugging will work with a software device, or a mixed-mode device.

Apologies for the earlier docs and lack of warning messages. Both are better in the DirectX 9 SDK Update Summer 2003 which is beta now.

Development Lead, DirectX
Windows Graphics & Gaming Technology

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!