Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

shader (*.fx) debugee

This topic is 5269 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

People, how do you get the shader debuger in the VS.net+DX9.0 environment. im trying to get my hands dirty with the HLSL way of writing shaders(both vertex and pixel) and its results are cool. but how do you put a breakpoint/step in the shader efects(*.fx) file? The msdn help on the topic is at the most simply confusing, i have tried it all.

Okay i posed the question and now i have a partial solution. its possible to debug PIXEL shaders when the device specified in g_pD3D->CreateDevice is a REF device(HAL devices cant be debugged) and the flag specified in D3DXAssembleShaderFromFile or D3DXCreateEffectFromFile is D3DXSHADER_DEBUG(its diff. from what msdn specifies- D3DXASM_DEBUG flag was discontinued after DirectX8.1). This allows breakpoints/stepping in either *.vsh(precompiled) or *.fx(compiled at runtime) files. However the problem remains debuging Vertex Shaders. Any suggestions?

Another issue is using software rendering. Any workarounds?

-floydude

Pixel shader debugging only works with ref rast.

Vertex shader debugging will work with a software device, or a mixed-mode device.

Apologies for the earlier docs and lack of warning messages. Both are better in the DirectX 9 SDK Update Summer 2003 which is beta now.

Development Lead, DirectX
Windows Graphics & Gaming Technology