Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

motion blur

This topic is 6388 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I remember seeing code in v2.6 for motion blur in software. How could this be done in v3 with hardware, besides using 3dfx''s T-buffer?

I think the only way to do this in 3d cards is to use a trails like the ones inthe character system, check metal gear solid they do work. (at least there)

To make this answer a bit more informational Ill explain..
render your same entity using several instances of it, with diferent levels of shading (however the less transparent of them, should be about 60% alpha, no more) then when you character moves (only when your player moves you should render it) move those "trails" at diferent speeds. experiment with speeds, number of trails, etc.

Just like shadows, trails could also be diferent less-poly models, or like in the trails used in the character system, diferent vertexes...

If your card is capable you could also use extra antialiasing in the object to give a similar effect. but I think trails are more spectacular...

Instead of clearing the screen, draw a translucent black poly over it. The objects you draw should be translucent as well so they build up color.

Obviously not usuable in any situation but it looks good if you''re making a nice demo effect.