Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BeanDog

MASM to inline C++ _asm code - please help

I have some MASM code I need to convert to inline _asm code - Does MASM provide intermediate ASM code with all macros expanded, like C++ gives you the ASM it produces? I could just use MASM and cut and paste then. Help, ~BenDilts( void );

MSVC uses MASM as its inline assembler. There are only a few things that don''t carry over, such as alignment.

For a good time hit Alt-F4! Go ahead try it, all the cool people are doing it.

Wrong.
MSVC does not use MASM in any way.
In fact, MASM is not included into MSVC at all, you have to get it separately (for free).

Although, it does stand to reason that Microsoft''s C++ compiler would use Microsofts assembler for inline assembly... Even if MASM isn''t included as a stand along program with VC++, I think it still uses it to assemble the inline assembly. I think I read that somewhere once.

That''s easy : you just need to buy MSVC...
(just kidding! )

Download this:
Visual C++ Processor Pack.
If you have no VC sp4 - you''ll get a funny message box:
"ERROR: Unable to enable the Visual C++ 6.0 Processor Pack installation".
At this moment you need to grab installator''s temporary directory (something like ..\temp\Ixp000.tmp).
Now you have MASM6.15!

quote:
Original post by Qoy
Although, it does stand to reason that Microsoft''s C++ compiler would use Microsofts assembler for inline assembly... Even if MASM isn''t included as a stand along program with VC++, I think it still uses it to assemble the inline assembly. I think I read that somewhere once.

That was loooong time ago. (at least before VC4)