CHR Optimizations

Started by
5 comments, last by darrin 23 years, 10 months ago
Hi All, Anyone got any tips for optimizing the BIP CHR methods. I want to have at least 4-8 chrs on screen at once, real low poly counts, but it still seems to slow my PC down too much. The CHR I was working on was originally 193 verts 383 faces, but once exported as 3DS then reimported, it increased to 503 verts 383 faces. I presume the BIP calculations are performed on each vertice, so anyway of keeping to my original low vertice count? Cheers Darrin
Advertisement
Have you tried changing the number of joints in the biped? You probably don''t need all the finger and toe joints that the default biped offers.

Author of Power Render (http:/www.powerrender.com)
Hi Chris,
I had reduced the toes and fingers to 1 finger, 1 seg & 1 toe 1 seg.

BTW, it works excellently, Once all the fiddling around to set it up is complete, it is a peice of cake. Just a bit worried about speed, so may just do my Hero Character as Biped & the rest as MD2 or seged. Also can't seem to get seemless looping of loopable anims ie run/walk, always seem to hold on the last frame for a fraction too long.

Cheers
Darrin

Edited by - darrin on June 18, 2000 12:14:11 AM
It looks good ..except for the speed .. and I am having a terrible time trying to place the gun into the characters hands ..Huh! Using the mesh location offset tends to screw up if I want to use both i.e if I try to use ROTATION 0 180 0. Then the Gun Mesh does not get this.. so it comes on the other side.. But I think it will be better once we get a Chr Editor .. Right

Coming back to speed .. The charater animates too fast ..unlike the Quake models whose animation is pretty smooth. Actually it looks fine in Proedit .. but when used instead of quake models the difference shows up.

I will put up the character on web .. so u guys can check it

http://members.tripod.com/~Nat_x_/Soldier.chr

~~~º¥º -
Hi Nat,
I had no problems with speed, I think the FPS is calculated from 3D Studio whilst exporting the PRB''s, so if it looks fine in 3DS and settings are at 30? or 60? FPS then export should handle the speed.

I am also having problems with the hand position, but just really started working on this.

You may want to zip your CHR up, my Browser just showed the CHRs ASCII.

Cheers
Darrin
Well.. try this model in the land1 and see how it looks ..also check the same in Proedit

I will zip it up alright .. but if you got any download utility like getright .. just copy the url and it will downlaod ..

http://members.tripod.com/~Nat_x_/Soldier.zip

Thanks,
Nat

Edited by - nat on June 19, 2000 9:30:29 AM
~~~º¥º -
you have to have your fps set to 60.

to get rid of that last tick darrin here is what i do

first copy your first keyframe to the last keyframe using shift-move...now put in all your intermediary keys...lastly put a key at the next to the last frame..so if you have frames 0-120 put in a key at 119...then delete key 120 and shorten the animation to 119...there you go...and you have to ignore the animation in max..when the brackets flash it gives a false impression of a tick....

Eric

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement