Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Qoy

UPDATE_COMMAND_UI

In my level editor, I need to disable or enable a menu item based on whether a certain index is selected in a list box. The standard method of getting a pointer and calling EnableMenuItem with the item ID didn''t work, so some people pointed me to the UPDATE_COMMAND_UI message. Here''s how I''m using it: In the OnSelChange function for my list box, depending on what is being selected, I am setting a boolean to either true or false. Then in the OnUpdateUI function for the menu item, I am calling pCmdUI->Enable() with that boolean variable as a parameter, to enable or disable the window as needed. Is this the correct way to use that message/function? To me, it seems like this has to enable/disable it every time the menu is brought down, which seems sort of inefficient, so I thought I''d ask if there are better ways to use it.. Thanks for the help!

in my level editor, the way i handled my UPDATE_COMMAND_UI was doing the standard classwizard messages and doing an if statement inside of them. you could do something like this instead:

(inside OnUpdate function)
if(selection == 1)
{
pCmdUI->Enable();
}
else if
{
pCmdUI->Enable(FALSE);
}

the way you are doing it would work, too, i assume. normally when you have a command mapped to a menu item, MFC enables the menu item automatically. i don''t know why the command wouldn''t disable.... try it my way and see if it works, and if not, then send me your code and i''ll do all that i can to help.

david

i''m not sure EXACTLY how the mfc architecture works, but simply calling
pCmdUI->Enable( bEnabled );
each time the menu is opened, doesn''t seem like a big hit. it''s in a level editor anyway. but you are correct in the usage.

crazy166
some people think i'm crazy, some people know it

I agree with crazy166. Besides, pCmdUI->Enable() probably just sets some bool flag inside MFC anyway. If you want to step through it, the MFC source code is there -- just step into the function with VC''s debugger.

And if it turns out to be a performance hog, use another bool to track the previous value. If the previous value is different from the new value, you call pCmdUI->Enable(). Otherwise, the call is redundant.

- null_pointer
Sabre Multimedia

well how bout this:

i have a dynamic menu created every time the user right-clicks inside of my map editor to where it displays and allows the user to select from a list of dynamically loaded tile bits that are loaded on startup. every time the user right-clicks, i have a for loop that appends the bit names to the certain menu. the menu displays fine, it''s just that i can get the stupid menu items to check! i''ve tried calling the popup menu''s SetCheck function and that didn''t work. i also tried calling an UpdateCommandRangeUI and that didn''t seem to work either. i know i had it all set up right, i just don''t know why it doesn''t want to take my check marks!

any help would be greatly appreciated...

david

I think SetCheck() should work. Are you re-creating your popup window every time you display it? Then it would definitely not store the check state between calls. Then perhaps you could make the popup menu a data member of your mainframe or view class, and simply show or hide it when you need it.

Usually, a popup menu is just a collection of the same menu items (and the same IDs) from the program''s main menu, so calling pCmdUI->SetCheck() on an UPDATE_COMMAND_UI for your main menu items should do the trick.

- null_pointer
Sabre Multimedia