Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dennis

Map Editor

Does anyone know a good map editor used for making large cities, like in Driver?? (Well, maybe not that large) I don''t have time to write my own.

If you´re not goin´ to make yer own editor, you´ll have to discover how the editor saves its files. I don´t think they´re gonna tell you. Sure, they do not want someone using its editor without charging.

Thanks, Arthur(rockslave)

IMHO, writing your own map editor for your game is the best way to go. it''s the only way you''ll know that you have everything you''ll need for development of your game, plus it will help you iron out some unforseen problems to begin with. if you look at it like i did, you can''t have a game without a world for your player to be in! the first thing i did was write a map editor for my current game, and i don''t regret it one bit. i did however make it scalable so i could use the format in any other games successfully ;-)

just a bit of info...

david

to Neonstar:
Did you write your editor to work in the windows environment, or did you write it to work in fullscreen directx?

I''m currently working on my editor (Haven''t even started the game engine beyond ideas, I too believe that and editor is one of the most important parts of game development) It''s designed to work in the windows environment. Just Curious.

-Zims

to tell yuo the truth, i''ve been through 3 map editors in a year. truthfully... the first 2 were fullscreen DX which was a bitch because i had to do all of the UI myself. the first one bombed (well actually it was going well, but i disbanded it for a while and came back and decided to write another from scratch with more functionality).. the 2nd was finished, but it ended up being pretty crappy because it didn''t have all that i needed. at that time i was like "well, gotta write another!" no, i''m not stuck on map editors, it''s just that when i start a project, it''s not done until i KNOW it''s done. i knew that it wouldn''t do in its fullscreen form so i started it in MFC. it works GREAT. i''ve been working on it for 3 weeks, and i''m like 2 hours of coding away from being done. it''s capable of making maps for any 2D tile based game i decide to write, so it''ll last me for a while. plus, the tile bits are scalable, which means if i decide i need more tile bits, i don''t have to go back and edit the menu items and code, i just gotta put them in my bit table file. i thought that was a very consciencious decision ;-). anyway, it''s not very hard, you just have to create a windowed Ddraw interface inside a CView (or even a CDialog) with the member variable m_hWnd for the hwnd to attach to.

if everyone wants me to, i''ll put up some screenshots on my website when i get done... HEH, when i get done with my website, too...

it''s all coming together now, i''ve got a real game project going on with real things happening. i''ve been waiting 3 long years for this, reading and building my skills. i''m ready to finally step up from the ''independent developer'' platform to the ''commercial game developer'' platform...

for real...

david

My username comes from my profession: 3d CAD, so I haven''t tried creating a map editor at all, I''ve just concentrated on writing conversion apps to get information from CAD to game.

I am modelling big cities too, which you might find interesting, follow the link below to see some screen shots and stuff. Once I import the data, all that''s left to do is the texturing so I''ve done a simple UI for that.

Cheers

Matt

Check out my project at:www.btinternet.com/~Matthew.Bennett

Well Hi there again Matt, didn''t realize that that was you i replied to this morning about creating your own level editor. The way you are doing it in autocad is pretty cool, i think. I believe you could make a pretty easy level editor if you''d just incorporate the CAD loading functions into an editor and just save the locations of whatever objects you put in there into either a separate file, or a merged file between the CAD and level data files. that seems like the best way to go, if you don''t mind making your levels between 2 programs...

big dave

Guest Anonymous Poster
Dave-

I position ''models'' of my models in AutoCAD, then save their positions/orientations/id''s in the map files. (if that makes sense).

Like I said, the only thing left to do is the texturing of the terrain, and I covered this with about a dozen or so simple buttons.

My only problem is AutoCAD itself, it doesn''t really allow for creativity. I really like the software I use at work, I''ll actually do my modelling with that (I don''t think my boss reads this msg board ). Look at PowerShape and you''ll see what I mean.

Later

Matt

Dave-

I position ''models'' of my models in AutoCAD, then save their positions/orientations/id''s in the map files. (if that makes sense).

Like I said, the only thing left to do is the texturing of the terrain, and I covered this with about a dozen or so simple buttons.

My only problem is AutoCAD itself, it doesn''t really allow for creativity. I really like the software I use at work, I''ll actually do my modelling with that (I don''t think my boss reads this msg board ). Look at PowerShape and you''ll see what I mean.

Later

Matt

HEH, that''s the way to do it... i hope your boss isn''t reading either...

the only thing i''m using from my work is the knowledge i''ve attained on MFC and VB programming. it''s great...

well, your project looks great, hope it goes far.

david

to neonstar:
I originally wrote my map editor using windows GDI stuff, but decided, "hey, directx will allow me to do some more cool stuff", so I swapped over to it. What a performance hit.. I''m curious as to how you did your editor and how well it performs..

-Zims

I don''t know if any of you have noticed, but I have been ranting about not being able to get my map editors renderer working very fast on the board here. Well, I did my usual trick for solving problems I''m having a tough time with, I forget about it for awhile. I haven''t looked at my map editor code for 4 days. just a few minutes ago I opened it up and began to look into why it was slow. I was glancing through the code and bang, I saw what was wrong. I have two width height variable pairs, one being the window width and heigt in pixels, and the other being the width and height in tiles. Well, My renderer was rendering 652 tiles by 478 tiles (a tile being 32x32).. No wonder it wasn''t that fast. Now it screams along.. (Bangs head a few times for stupidity)

Just thought i''d tell everyone to glorify my stupidity..

-Zims

I think I''ll have to write my own one, but the problem is I got an old compiler: Borland C++ 5.01! No Visual C++ with MFC or Borland C++ Builder with VCL so it is going to be an awful lot of work.

BTW: Matt, the city really looks cool!

While this subjects around, I thought I''d jump on, and ask a related question:

For a 2d platfrom game what should the editor do? What I''m thinking of doing it is to have it save levels in files which would have:
1: Info section with fixed size. This would contain map width and height, along with location of corresponding .bmp file for the graphics used by tiles. Possibly other stuff

2: Tiles array with data for each tile on map as to which tile it is (stored in a lookup table), along with tile properties. Each entry would be some kinda struct, containing location of tile on template, along with special qualities of tile(solid, liquid, slippery, etc...)

Is this the correct approach to take? I''m probably gonna try to get this small platform game done over summer, soon as I finish with tetris

J2xC (J. Connolly)

"Then study this: Borg provokes Klingon, Klingon breaks Borg's nose" Belanna Torres, Star Trek Voyager 5.11 "Someone to watch over me"

you''ve got it. the way my file format is for my map editor is like this:

1. it saves a bit of data so the loader knows it''s a valid map file.
2. it saves the full path of the tile bitmap used in the map.
3. it saves the info, such as the width and height.
4. the array of tiles is saved for each of the 3 layers.
5. the array of cell bits is saved for each of the 3 layers.

that''s it, not too tough. it seems like you know what you want, so i hope you''re successfull with it! remember, if you ever have any problems with it, you can always ask on this board. if i don''t reply, someone should...

david

You guys may want to consider using a script as an intermediate format. The map editor loads and saves scripts, and a compiler app builds a binary from it. The perks to using scripts is that you can change the map spec on the fly without trashing all your existing maps. Just recompile the script and boom, new version of spec, same map.

-Zims

thats what i had planned on, although the scripts will be compiled by a standalone script compiler i''ll write when i''m done with the map editor. that would make it where i could have one map file, but many script files that use the same map, so I could have the player re-visit the same area in a different part of the game, but be different pickups, enemies and events... ahh, the beauty of scalability...

david