Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Good Books about DirectX, Direct3d and DirectDraw?

This topic is 6383 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi! I would start programming in DirectX, Direct3d and DirectDraw and wounder where to start... How do you start? I know one book that sounds intresting: "Programing strategy games using DirectX"..or something like that. Do someone know enything about this book? How newbie-frendly the book is and so on...? "DirectX for dummies"..what do you learn in this book? And is it VisualC++ that you learn with it..? Thanks for answers! //Clontas

Guest Anonymous Poster
Inside DirectX is the best book on DirectX programming(no Direct3D coveraqge though)...

Tricks of the Windows Game Programming Gurus works with VC++ (it even includes the trial edition of VC 6 on the CD). Its pretty good for beginner game programmers, but not for beginner programmers. (Then again, if you don''t know the basics of a language, you shouldn''t BE writing games!)

TWGPG doesn''t include much Direct3D, although I was able to figure most of it out from the SDK and the e-books on the CD (the D3D tutorial on TWGPG''s CD is really good, but hard to read).

Hopefully volume 2 will come out soon. It covers 3D engine creation and D3D in detail.

I''ve heard so much about the book you guys have been recommending, I''ve got to find a copy Muahahaha

I''ve three beginner programming books of which the best by far has been "Sams Learn DirectX 7 in 24 Hours" by Robert Dunlop. Yes, I know the title is .... let''s say "generic", lol but it has some very good chapters to step you through DirectDraw, DirectSound, DirectMusic, Direct3D, etc.

Where did all of you find the book you''ve mentioned above, and how much?

IceFire

Without any proud and beside the title I highly recommend DirectX Game Programming for dummies. It´s a good book for beginners who want to learn game programming and the consept of DirectX.

Gandalf the White

Edited by - Gandalf on June 20, 2000 6:46:59 AM

The best place to buy books is [url]http://www.amazon.com[/url].
Use the search engine to find the stuff you wan''t and you can also read reviews of the book there.
I haven''t read TOTWGPG but I have read windows game programming for dummies which is written by the same author and since TOTWGPG came later it''s probably more updated.

Hi!

I''ve read a lot of books and I must say that "tricks of the windows game programming gurus" is the coolest book available. Andre LaMothe said that the book was the first of a two part series. The second part will cover 3D stuff. With respect to Direct3D, I can''t recommend any book I have read. But, the tutorials from the DirectX 7 SDK (Download at Microsoft) are easy going and really cool if you are starting out.

MK42

I bought Real Time Strategy Game Programming With DirectX 6 the other day, and its crap. Im new to directx and graphics programming, and i found the book really hard to understand. It doesnt explain what to do, but instead throws large blocks of code at you and expects you to suss out whats going on.

I am considering buying Tricks of the 3d game programming gurus soon. Which book did you say contains Visual C++ 6 trial, as im after a copy of this. Is it time limited (ie 30 days), or limited features?. Im currently using Borland C++ Builder 4 and am considering switching to the M$ compiler. Would I be better buying the full version for £70, or getting it free with the book?

GOD DAMNIT! It''s not "DirectX For Dummies" or "DirectX Game Programming For Dummies!" It''s "WINDOWS GAME PROGRAMMING FOR DUMMIES!" That is one of the best game programming books out there! After reading that, I could write any 2D game I wanted to! Yeah!

Ok, had to get that off of my chest.

-Alex