Good Books about DirectX, Direct3d and DirectDraw?

Started by
15 comments, last by Clontas 23 years, 10 months ago
Without any proud and beside the title I highly recommend DirectX Game Programming for dummies. It´s a good book for beginners who want to learn game programming and the consept of DirectX.

Gandalf the White

Edited by - Gandalf on June 20, 2000 6:46:59 AM
Gandalf the Black
Advertisement
The best place to buy books is http://www.amazon.com.
Use the search engine to find the stuff you wan''t and you can also read reviews of the book there.
I haven''t read TOTWGPG but I have read windows game programming for dummies which is written by the same author and since TOTWGPG came later it''s probably more updated.
Hi!

I''ve read a lot of books and I must say that "tricks of the windows game programming gurus" is the coolest book available. Andre LaMothe said that the book was the first of a two part series. The second part will cover 3D stuff. With respect to Direct3D, I can''t recommend any book I have read. But, the tutorials from the DirectX 7 SDK (Download at Microsoft) are easy going and really cool if you are starting out.

MK42
I bought Real Time Strategy Game Programming With DirectX 6 the other day, and its crap. Im new to directx and graphics programming, and i found the book really hard to understand. It doesnt explain what to do, but instead throws large blocks of code at you and expects you to suss out whats going on.

I am considering buying Tricks of the 3d game programming gurus soon. Which book did you say contains Visual C++ 6 trial, as im after a copy of this. Is it time limited (ie 30 days), or limited features?. Im currently using Borland C++ Builder 4 and am considering switching to the M$ compiler. Would I be better buying the full version for £70, or getting it free with the book?
Gavin Coates
[size="1"]IT Engineer / Web Developer / Aviation Consultant
[size="1"][ Taxiway Alpha ] [ Personal Home Page ]
Thank you for all your answers! I think I''m going to buy "Ticks of the Windows Game Programming Gurus" but the problem is to find it..

//Clontas
//Clontas
Does anybody have any idea when volume two of tricks will come out?

*** Triality ***
*** Triality ***
GOD DAMNIT! It''s not "DirectX For Dummies" or "DirectX Game Programming For Dummies!" It''s "WINDOWS GAME PROGRAMMING FOR DUMMIES!" That is one of the best game programming books out there! After reading that, I could write any 2D game I wanted to! Yeah!

Ok, had to get that off of my chest.

-Alex
I looooove programming! Even at my young age.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement