Help with witchlord tutorials

Started by
6 comments, last by chewy 23 years, 10 months ago
I''m working with the witchlord tutorials and although they are very informative I''m having major performance issues. When I run even the simple app it''s very sporatic. It will jump while rotating and can take up to 10 to 15 seconds to close once I click on the close button. Any ideas? Other directx demos and such don''t have a problem so I don''t think it''s my pc.
Advertisement
All of them run fine on my system. I''ve a p3 550 and a TnT video card, both having plenty of RAM. Without knowing your system or card, could the code be defaulting to software emulation rather than the 3d acceleration?

I also like WitchLord''s tutorial''s as they show the DX side rather than 3dim side of things.

Thanks for sharing your knowledge WitchLord, it''s greatly appreciated

IceFire
Try running the tutorials in full screen..

This Riva TNT2 video card does the same thing in windowed mode.. Some d3d samples do run fine, some just get sooo sloww..
Hi

I want to know what type of accelerator you use, and what you have set the desktop bitdepth to.

Some cards have trouble rendering 3D in windowed mode on 32 bit desktops (especially the 3Dfx kind), try switching to 16 bit.

Also you could try running the app in fullscreen, as have already been suggested. The tutorial should tell you how to do that (you need to change the code a bit).

Other than that I can only think of driver problems. Are you using the latest drivers for you card?

(IceFire - I hope you can solve your problem )

- WitchLord

Edited by - WitchLord on June 20, 2000 12:32:10 PM

AngelCode.com - game development and more - Reference DB - game developer references
AngelScript - free scripting library - BMFont - free bitmap font generator - Tower - free puzzle game

Well I was avoiding telling what my video card was till I got some ideas first. I''m using the creatative Labs Banshee so it doesn''t surprise me if it''s the problem. It could be that my desktop is 32bit I''ve seen that problem before. I''m currently at work so when I get home I''ll try these suggestions and see what happens.

But like I said, it kind of surprised me since the mssdk demos run without a problem.

thanks for the suggestions.
I''m currently working on my next tutorial, and I experienced a problem like you explained. Most of the time the program runs fine at 345 fps (nothing is rendering) but once in a while the framerate drops to a measly .5 fps (still no rendering in the code). As it turned out the framerate dropped when I moved the mouse cursor over the source file in the debugger so I get the vertical text input cursor, the one that inverts the background. I have absolutely no idea why this happens.

- WitchLord

AngelCode.com - game development and more - Reference DB - game developer references
AngelScript - free scripting library - BMFont - free bitmap font generator - Tower - free puzzle game

Couldn''t the cause of your problem ,witchlord, be that since the debugger is running as an app it reacts on the mouse and things happen when the curor is over certain parts of the app running in the background?
To a very small degree other applications do affect the framerate of mine and everyone else''s Direct3D applications. But for this particular situation it must be something else. By the way, it doesn''t matter if I''m debugging or not I ran the program outside VC++ and put the mouse over this very edit box, the same slowdown occurs.

- WitchLord

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement