Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

cyberben

DJGPP and Win9x?

Hi there, I''m just starting to program in C and was looking a DJGPP just as a starting point. When I went to there page I selected a bunch of options and it told me which files to download. Now one of the options was which operating system will you be using, now this seems silly because as far as I understand you can only create DOS programs with DJGPP. Is this true? Or can I create Win32 programs with DJGPP? If so anysite, links, info would be greatly appreciates! If not anyother free C compilers for Win32? Thanks, Ben

Ok, I''ve figured out that it is kindof possible but not really worth it. Does anybody know any free C compilers? Or should I just by C, if so whose version? Borland, Watcom, Microsoft?
Thanks,
Ben

I''ve never used DJGPP...but if you''re still learning C, I suggest you use one of those quick compilers like Turbo C or DJGPP. Once you have enough skills to start learning visual programming, get Borland''s C++ or Microsoft Visual C++.

Remedy@icestorm.net

DJGPP can only create DOS programs, but i think there are some statistics there to... who knows?

DJGPP is good, espesially w/ the allegro lib!

But if you want a free compiler that can do Win32, download borland commandline tools (Their FREE compiler!)

========================
Game project(s):
www.fiend.cjb.net

www.bloodshed.nu - Bloodshed Dev-C++ Win32 compiler

Remedy: It takes a lot less skill to do visual programming than programming in text.

-----------------------------

A wise man once said "A person with half a clue is more dangerous than a person with or without one."

When you visited that page(ZipPicker, right?) where you "selected a bunch of options", did you notice a little checkbox titled RSX(or something like that)? If you were to download and install that package, then you could in theory develop Win32 apps with DJGPP. I''m saying in theory, becuase it doesn''t work when you take it out of the box, so to speak. The header files are old as dirt, and there are some other problems. Still, it''s possible to make it work. This page explains what needs to be done:

http://www.users.bigpond.com/lventer/rsxntdj/

I''m not sure if there''s been some new versions released of RSXNT. (I installed v. 1.50) So maybe you don''t have to go through all that trouble, IF they''ve fixed all the bugs that is. Perhaps you ought to check that out first:

http://www.mathematik.uni-bielefeld.de/~rainer/

That''s its "homepage" (I think). Let me know what you find out.

And BTW, any environment that can run DOS programs (and provides DPMI), can run a DJGPP program. So you don''t actually have to have DOS. DJGPP-programs can run in other environments. Check the FAQ list.

/TP

TP

"A fanatic is one who can't change his mind
and won't change the subject"
-- Winston Churchill