• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SikCiv

How do I use D3DIM with D3DX?

This topic is 6599 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I attempted retained mode, but all I managed to do was get a very slow scene on the screen with choppy framage...no wander MS dont support it anymore. Ive also attempted D3DX and i have some shapes on the screen. Ive looked at the sample apps, but they all use shapes like spheres and cubes. How do I create a scene? Im not creating a walkthrough type of scene like say in quake, just a textured floor, some trees (loaded from X Files), and a building or two with a dude walking around them. Is this hard to accomplish using D3DX? I have some X loading routines, but how do I get them on the screen without *too much* difficulty. Also, whats the difference between ->draw, ->drawprimative, and the other draw functions? Which one do I use? Ive seen the Witchlord tutorials, but they dont do what I need. I dont know where to start, is there a sample app I can download that shows me how to mix D3DIM with D3DX and how to create a scene?

Advertisement
Your D3DX object (D3DXContext? Something like that) has functions that return the D3DDevice, the back-buffer, etc etc. All you then need to do is call standard D3DIM functions on those interfaces. Sorry I can''t be more specific, no compiler or docs here.

Get your pointers like that

lpd3dx is your d3dx context object

LPDIRECT3D7 lpd3d = lpd3dx->GetD3D();
LPDIRECTDRAW7 lpdd = lpd3dx->GetDD();

Witchlord third tutorial shows you how to build a scene already but it uses the d3dx simple primitives rather than the loaded X files..

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!