How do I use D3DIM with D3DX?

Started by
1 comment, last by SikCiv 23 years, 10 months ago
I attempted retained mode, but all I managed to do was get a very slow scene on the screen with choppy framage...no wander MS dont support it anymore. Ive also attempted D3DX and i have some shapes on the screen. Ive looked at the sample apps, but they all use shapes like spheres and cubes. How do I create a scene? Im not creating a walkthrough type of scene like say in quake, just a textured floor, some trees (loaded from X Files), and a building or two with a dude walking around them. Is this hard to accomplish using D3DX? I have some X loading routines, but how do I get them on the screen without *too much* difficulty. Also, whats the difference between ->draw, ->drawprimative, and the other draw functions? Which one do I use? Ive seen the Witchlord tutorials, but they dont do what I need. I dont know where to start, is there a sample app I can download that shows me how to mix D3DIM with D3DX and how to create a scene?

Downloads:  ZeroOne Realm

Advertisement
Your D3DX object (D3DXContext? Something like that) has functions that return the D3DDevice, the back-buffer, etc etc. All you then need to do is call standard D3DIM functions on those interfaces. Sorry I can''t be more specific, no compiler or docs here.

Get your pointers like that

lpd3dx is your d3dx context object

LPDIRECT3D7 lpd3d = lpd3dx->GetD3D();
LPDIRECTDRAW7 lpdd = lpd3dx->GetDD();

Witchlord third tutorial shows you how to build a scene already but it uses the d3dx simple primitives rather than the loaded X files..

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement