Frame rate

Started by
13 comments, last by Gandalf 23 years, 10 months ago
Straight from the DX SDK

HRESULT WaitForVerticalBlank(
DWORD dwFlags,
HANDLE hEvent
);

BTW.. I am not into simulating the real world..I''m into game creation! 3D games are dominating the gaming world but 2D games still ROCK! =) ... call me stupid if you like.

The nightmare travels across the cosmos with his burning mane. The trail of ash that is produced.

?Have a nice day!?

Advertisement
Sorry GoofProg , but I need a general method that works irrespective of API.

Thanks anyway.

Edited by - Gandalf on June 21, 2000 8:49:16 AM
Gandalf the Black
quote:Original post by GoofProg

I never got the concept why someone would want more than 60 FPS. It''s smooth and anything above 75 FPS will be a blur on the screen.

Why do you say that? If it''s above 75 FPS you will just see it as equal to your monitor''s refresh rate. There''s not really any negative effects of too high a frame rate.

Whereas I would agree that a massive frame rate is not important in itself, the point is generally that you are going to start adding monsters, AI, sound effects and so on to this game. And more detailed environments. So an engine that starts off at 60 FPS in testing might slow to 20 FPS when there are 10 monsters onscreen.

Having said that, I can''t help but think that there are too many people just making Another 3D Engine (TM). In modern games, a degree of 3D knowledge is useful, but not everyone will be programming their own 3D engine, and licensing existing ones is going to become more popular, I think. I''d be happier if these people were writing new games. An engine doesn''t go very far without its accompanying car
My point was that you can''t use the vsync() function (vertical retrace) as a timer. It should be used in top of a timer. The reason for this is that different computers have different vertical retrace rates making the timer pointless.

JoeMont001@aol.com
My HomepageSome shoot to kill, others shoot to mame. I say clear the chamber and let the lord decide. - Reno 911
Julio, don''t give him any stupid ideas, please!

Locking the framerate is about as smart as walk across a highway with lots of traffic in the dark!
Why would he want to limit the framerate?? Just update the game status in a specified interval. Locking the framerate causes a lot of other strange problems, such as slow mouse response etc.
The easiest (well, maybe not that easy, considering multithreading issues) is multithreading, where you put the different tasks in separate threads.

Regards,
Laarz
Regards,Laarz

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement