• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

waskyo

Open GL Stereo Support

This topic is 6659 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, does anybody know where can I find information on which video cards have support for Stereo Graphics and LC Shutter Glasses in OpenGL? I read that support for this is up to Windows and the video card vendor. I''m using Windows NT 4 and 2000 (2000 preferred). Also, could anyone point me to documentation/tutorials/info in general on developing stereo applications? Thanks in advance, Ricardo

Advertisement
You don''t have to develop special stereo applications, you only need the OpenGL drivers for the glasses, then each frame is rendered twice (for right and left eye) if an application renders something with OpenGL.

Visit our homepage: www.rarebyte.de.st

GA

So basically I just need to write the app in OpenGL without worrying about stereo and making diferent left and right images, and the driver will take care of the rest?
But as far as I know there are no OpenGL NT drivers for many of the glasses out there. And the Win9x drivers are restricted to QuakeGL, which I don''t know how limited it is. Do you know anything about that?

Thanks for your answer,
Ricardo

Guest Anonymous Poster
Yes, I''m interested in this topic as well... I''m using NT 4 (probably 2000 soon) on an SGI 320, and I want to create stereo programs with OpenGL.
I''m guessing the StereoGraphics CrystalEyes are the best idea?

I think StereoGraphics looks like the best (at least for developers), but my problem with them is budget, so I''m trying to find a way to program cheaper glasses in NT/2000. Anyone can help me with info on this?

Ricardo

you only need the OpenGL drivers for the glasses, then each frame is rendered twice (for right and left eye) if an application renders something with OpenGL.

Actually the way that the Elsa glasses work (and presumably all games without specific support for dual displays), is that the game renders the scene once, and then the glasses use the depth buffer to produce two images from the single image produced by the game. ie it resamples the frame, sliding pixels left and right for each eye, a distance depending on the pixels z value.

This means the depth buffer has to be working correctly for the glasses to work, which is not true for all older games as they used tricks with the depth buffer to speed things up

danack

Game production:
Good, quick, cheap: Choose two.

Hi!

I am trying to do something similar with a G400MAX DualHead. The ICD drivers that Matrox Suplies don''t support stereo with OpenGL directly. I think that you must get the video card vendor SDK for having access to the files (headers, libs,etc) that will allow you make your own stereo apps with OpenGL. Thats what I am trying to do now. I am waitting an answer from Matrox devrel team for their SDK info(prices,docs,etc).

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!