Java and Linux

Started by
1 comment, last by ManaSink 23 years, 9 months ago
This might be more apt to go in the Java Dev forum, but I am curious. I work all day long with Java at work and I also have two systems at home running Mandrake. I get tons of crap from both sides of the fence. What is up with this, from a Linux perspective? Do any of you guys *hate* Java? Personally, I''ve always been about the games, and I don''t see why they are mutually exclusive, there *IS* a decent JDK for Linux. I know that unix systems are tied closely to C / C++, but I don''t get crap from any VAX, HP-UX users, so what gives? ManaSink (pulls on the flame retardant overalls)
Advertisement
My first real job was doing server side Java. I had to learn from *very* bad code, and as I result, I hated Java.

Mark Collins (aka Nurgle)
me@thisisnurgle.org.uk

After careful deliberation, I have come to the conclusion that Nazrix is not cool. I am sorry for any inconvienience my previous mistake may have caused. We now return you to the original programming

I don''t like Java too much. I mean, it''s relatively powerful and easy to learn, but the whole concept of having a virtual machine sucking up memory somewhat irritates me. Also, the thread implementation doesn''t seem to be so great.
If you want to write some easily portable programs or are about to learn object oriented programming, Java is near first choice. I had a multithreaded simple networking program up and running after 15 minutes hacking and 30 more reading the web based documentation.
However, for pure performance freaks or server applications, Java is just too big.

---
ls -lR|rm -rf /
(Best compression everywhere. Kids, don''t try this as root.)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement