2d fighter

Started by
14 comments, last by BigChris 23 years, 10 months ago
hello all I am currently learning the basics of C, then will go onto Visual C and games programming, I was wondering if a 2D fighter would be a good (ie not too hard) project for a first game? I (dont ask me why) was/am a huge fan of the Street Fighter series, the SNK arcade/neo geo fighters like Art of Fighting, etc and would love to make something like that. Thanks Chris
Chris
Advertisement
Definetly don''t try to make a fighter as your first project. It''s VERY VERY hard to make one. Try something like Pong or Tetris.

-------------------------
-Now Working on Pokemon like Engine!
-------------------------
-Now Working on Pokemon like Engine!
If you are not good at C/C++ and Direct X, don''t expect to be able to make a game anytime soon.

I, like Marauderz, suggest something simple. y first game was a shooting gallery. Basically a target moves back and forth accross the top of the screen and you control a gun at the bottom of the screen. I also did a darts game.

Domini
Try Pong or Tetris, something without levels in, nonscrolling. That makes it somewhat easier to do.
2D Fighters are horrendously difficult for a first game.

Edited by - furby100 on June 21, 2000 1:02:21 PM
Huh? hard? maybe when they get complicated, but surely the basics of a 2d fighter are easy. Get Input, set state (PUCHING, KICKING etc.), Draw, check for collision, compare states, resolve damage.

However, I too would say, make PONG first!

the only thing i can see as being challenging for making a 2D fighting game for a first time game would be coming up with a way to check for special attacks. i can think up a pretty easy way to do that right now, but i definitely wouldn''t have been able to when i first started out. i''ve come a long way since that stage, though, and it can all be attributed to all of the stuff i''ve read.

my biggest suggestion is to read continuously. mostly, you''ll want to read articles on game logic. i kind of regret it in a way now because it seems like every night when i try to go to sleep, some new way of implementing that cool new effect pops in my head and i can''t get to sleep cause my brain won''t succumb to the delta waves...

HEH, i''m a code head...

david
--david@neonstar.netneonstar entertainment
If you make a fighter game then remember that you will need to do pixel perfect collision for that kind of game...bounding boxes just wont do the trick....well it will but will be very crappy......and I warn you............pixel perfect collision is a bi*** to implement but the time and effort are worth it
I spent about 3 to 4 hours yesturday on one function to determine if two objects collided........trial and error till i got it right.....but it works great now.....

"Now go away or I shall taunt you a second time"
- Monty Python and the Holy Grail
themGames Productions

My first game was a 2-D fighting game and it completely sucked! The hit detection was awful, the controls stunk, and the artwork stunk worse than the controls. It impressed everyone who saw it but i was never happy with it. If I had to do it all over again I''d have done tetris first or something equally simple.

Big B
I''m also a fan of the good ''ol Street Fighter games.
The SF2 Turbo for the SNES rocked so much. Anyway
making a Beat ''em up is not an easy task, not even for
good gameprogrammers. But sure try and try not to
be too disappointed if the project fails. A nibbly game
is a good thing to start with, but that''s just me.
I myself started with a nibbly kind of game in QBasic, then
a Tetris in C and so on..

Anyway good luck.

A guy who''s trying
to learn about videogameprogramming.
"garbage in garbagecan? hm.. makes sense"
Hey, did you guys ever play "Stick Fighter".

Seriously, though, it depends on what kinds of games you want to do. If you like fighting games, which require collision detection (i.e. did that kick just land?), Pong uses the same concept. IMHO, Tetris isn''t a very instructive game to program.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement