• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

deakin

getting a screenshot

This topic is 6629 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Does anyone know how I can get a screenshot from my 256 color DirectX game? Whenever I try with the "print screen" button the image comes out stuffed because of the palettised mode (i think). Is there a program out there that will do it well? Thanks very much, and I hope I posted in the right forum - Daniel

Advertisement
I don''t know if you know how to do this yet but you could give it a try. If you can create a .BMP File with an attached pallete you can store the current frame buffer into that file. Granted it will be a very large file but I dont see why it wont work.

You can use the lock method on one of your surfaces and copy the data out of the returned DDSURFACEDESC''s lpSurface.Don''t forget that bitmaps are stored upside down.

----------
meh

Have you tried:
- Setting your screenmode to 24 or 32bits?
- Maybe go fullscreen?
- How about using TAB+PrintScreen?

Thanks. I''ll have to try to make a surface saving function, or get some sort of program that will take screenshots from 256 color modes. The games basically finished now, so it would be a lot of trouble to convert it to a different screen mode.

- Daniel

www.mr-gamemaker.com has a tutorial on taking a screen shot from any DDraw surface, and saves it to a device independant bitmap

Its suprising how many times I ''ve been asked this , anyway this is what you asked for .

2x click my computer then ctrl panel . 2x click on the direct x icon . Click on Direct Draw Tab , put a check mark on enable print screen , and viola , you can use print screen and direct X wont mangle your palette. Very useful if you wanna take a quick screen shot to put on your site . BTW by default , print screen is disabled in direct x applications.

There are only four types of men , RichMan , PoorMan , BeggarMan , Thief........

quote:
Original post by Tha_HoodRat

Its suprising how many times I ''ve been asked this , anyway this is what you asked for .

2x click my computer then ctrl panel . 2x click on the direct x icon . Click on Direct Draw Tab , put a check mark on enable print screen , and viola , you can use print screen and direct X wont mangle your palette. Very useful if you wanna take a quick screen shot to put on your site . BTW by default , print screen is disabled in direct x applications.

There are only four types of men , RichMan , PoorMan , BeggarMan , Thief........

What if you don''t have DirectX icon in the control panel? I''ve got DirectX installed, but there''s no DX icon there...

- Muzzafarath

Mad House Software
The Field Marshals

Hey Muzz, and the others,

for having the directx icon in the control panel, you need to have the directx.cpl installed on your system. You''ll get it with the directx sdk.
Alternatively, you can download it at http://ujmc.tripod.com/ (I uploaded it there).
After downloading (it''s about 62kb), you have to move it to your windows\system directory.

Keep in mind though that this one is from the dx5.2 sdk, but it works well with any other dx version, don''t know whether newer versions have been improved since.

Hope it helps

pi~

p.s. ignore the bad (non-existant) design

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!