• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

nes8bit

Slow Particles vs. Fast Particles

This topic is 6691 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Like the name of the thread? What is the best way of optimizing particles in D3D? Whenever you go up to a particle, it starts to slow down the system because of the amount of overdraw. What are some good tricks that will keep the system running at an acceptable speed? So far, I set the alphafunc to greater and set the alphatestenable to true. Is there anything else? ------------------------ Captured Reality

Advertisement
In my software rendered engine, I''m only drawing particles in the lightmap. This means one byte per pixel.
Only white particles, but hey - it''s optimization we''re talking about - isn''t it

Also I''m using a lookup table for calculating the new light value. But you''re probably using the OGL/D3D API, so this won''t be much help...

Hi

You can do some kind of LOD, by using single Vertices on greater distances.
Another thing that i do in my Engine is to bind Particles to larger Objects (an Explosion normal occurs on an Object, for example). With that I don''t render the particles when i don''t render the object, if it isn''t visible, or if it is occluded.

Lars

quote:

Original Post by nes8bit
That's a lot of calculations.

Sorry nes, but lookup tables require NO calculation! (only pre-calc)

quote:

Original Post by nes8bit
Also, the particles are gonna look like crap if I do that.

Sorry again, but it looks better than most particle fx I've seen...! Image 10 times as much particles doing their thing, faster than ever...!

Will you keep saying these things, or can I drop the sorry stuff You ask for new idea's, and then say they suck?...
I mean this in a good way ...maybe you should get a life - and maybe not spend 100% on gamdev

Sorry - couldn't help myself...

Edited by - baskuenen on June 21, 2000 7:21:38 PM

I make the Z-Buffer read-only when I''m drawing partices. Actually, your probably doing that anyway since your drawing transparent objects.)

Actually, when you get right next to it you could just draw it with Z-buffering completly off, since there probably won''t be anything occluding it.

Also, you could turn off bilinear filtering when drawing the particles (who''s going to care with something that small? ).

Keep the particle textures small too.

--TheGoop

quote:
Original post by baskuenen

Sorry again, but it looks better than most particle fx I've seen...! Image 10 times as much particles doing their thing, faster than ever...!

Will you keep saying these things, or can I drop the sorry stuff You ask for new idea's, and then say they suck?...
I mean this in a good way ...maybe you should get a life - and maybe not spend 100% on gamdev

Sorry - couldn't help myself...

Edited by - baskuenen on June 21, 2000 7:21:38 PM

If I didn't know you better I'd think you were flaming me.
Maybe I just didn't understand your idea. Please explain how easy this is.

TheGoop: Turning off filtering is a GREAT idea. I'm gonna do that after I get off this computer.

------------------------
Captured Reality

Edited by - nes8bit on June 21, 2000 8:21:03 PM

Lookup tables may be a start, but with today's faster processors math calculations aren't that much of a problem. My particle explosion routine uses 1000 particles. I calculate cosine once and sine twice through each loop. I don't see any speed changes. However, I'm using OpenGL and your using D3D. Maybe lookup tables would make a greater speed increase than I think. I haven't messed around in VB much.

JoeMont001@aol.com

Edited by - Julio on June 21, 2000 8:38:48 PM

The only floating calculations that are done in my program are multiplications. No big deal. It''s not the actual movement of the particles that are being a pain, it''s the actual rendering speed. If the particles were still it would be the same problem.

------------------------
Captured Reality

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!