• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

wellman

Incredible AI - Could it be possible???

This topic is 5670 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Advertisement
3D graphics is simple for computers, which are designed expressly to manipulate numbers. Humans have trouble with the abstract nature of algebra etc.

Whereas artificial intelligence suits humans perfectly: we understand abstract concepts, we have several highly-developed languages to help shape higher thoughts, etc. Computers have trouble dealing with the abstract.

This is why we have 3D cards and no AI cards AI is just way too vague. And it doesn''t help that the ''traditional'' AI people and the ''game'' AI people aren''t really singing from the same scoresheet. Traditional AI people are more interested in making a truly intelligent simulation of an insect, whereas game AI people would usually rather have a partially intelligent human.

The minimax algorithm is simply a costs/benefit analysis. You check the possible outcomes, and the sub-outcomes, compare the scores, and choose the best one. But this is all numbers. You need to program into the system some concept of ''worth''. In chess, you just say a pawn is worth 1, a knight worth 3, etc, and the game can play reasonably well just on that information alone. But there are no simple values or equations for emotion. And there are usually several orders of magnitude more possible ''moves'' than in a chess game, killing your tree search at the 2nd or 3rd level of depth. The human mind quickly learns which parts of the tree are ''redundant'' and doesn''t search those possibilities any further. This has to be somehow encoded into a game''s AI, and while learning systems are all very fun, you can''t really put the learning into most games: you need the finished product.

AI is a big stumbling block: we are starting to get more processor time to do it in, but we are only really succeeding in being able to use more complex scripts and patterns.

I''ve got to admitt i''ve been putting off repling to this thread but here goes. Rip me apart at will :-)

I see minimax and scripts as two different AI routines. The minimax being the more dynamic of the two when speaking on the [goto, if, then] coding level. Where as the script tends to been seen as static because they are hardcoded and have limited implementability (excluding the potential for variable inductions).

So, i now see two ways these AI elements can work together:
1. Scripts contain goto statements to minimax systems.
2. Minimax systems contain goto statements to scripts.

To me, script are the way to go if you have large amounts of memory at hand and maybe less processor juice. Vice versa for minimaxed systems. So it comes down to the hardware the game will run on not to mention the type of game.

------
I feel the need to babble out an idea...
Tech levels in RTS games are common and what they offer is usually the same thing (better armour bla bla). What if you increase the minimaxed ai depth for a unit when you increased it''s tech level [instead]. This would be new.
------

Minimax system are only good in limited area''s of the game/true? Where it''s easy for us to create values that the system can manipulate.

Rather than appling it to every creaton that walks the plain of a rpg and hence consuming valuable processor juice, would it not be possible to use it for the big bosses only. So rather than having the same old situation where the big boss has the usual more health and deal more damage just give them better ai.

- AI isn''t brain surgury... yet! -

Paul, i think scripts with minimaxed parts would be best That way you could already narrow the field of searching. It''s like the whole "humans alreayd know certain things won''t work" kinda thinking With the script, you can limit how the minimax searches. But it''ll be different for every case. If the strong warrior approches, the AI will respond in kind. Perhaps the AI character is a wizard? it wouldn''t want to get near to the warrior. So it would use scripts to delimit the minimaxed tree, and then decide what is best to do from there. The script could act like knowledge.. hard coded, and the minimax would be like intelligence, thinking on the fly Together they could really work well. perhaps even have multiple levels of script/minimaxing? The AI sees a warrior, so it reacts accordingly, it checks certain variables on both the PC and NPC and then runs into a minimax of how best to carry out its decision. Would teleporting get me away faster? hehe Does the PC have ranged weapons that''ll kill me? lol The AI could look at what the player has, sum it up, and then decide how best to act.. but this might require multiple levels. You script to find out you should run, and then you minimax for the best way to run, and then you script again to see if this way is logical versus certain factors and if not.. you go and change the value of running and recheck it all again. This way it might decide "i can''t teleport, he''s got a ranged weapon, so running is futile, what now?" hehe it''s a very interesting set of logic checks, but i think would use some processor time, still. Then bosses could have better scripts and better depth-searching! whee!

J

You might also want to take a look at the Creatures 2 and Creatures 3 decision making system. This game simulates a world with up to 12 independent AI''s (creatures) who each decide what to do based on their internal chemistry/emotional states. The chemistry/emotional system is genetically determined, hence different for every creature and evolving over generations. I think a system like this would be really fantastic for calculating NPC actions based on social input (i.e. actions by the player''s character). And you get 12 AI''s worth of brainpower from a Pentium II, not a supercomputer.

I may be way off base here but-
isn''t the basic way described here similar to other attributes of the character, such as health, strength, exc.
however these attribs should be changed when certain other things change, such as-
if he is the bartender and one of his friends comes into the room the other should change the value of say confidence of the bartender, however, if you want to get way into it, this shouldn''t happen until the bartender sees his friend.
however, in the end it shouldn''t be much harder than say a rts game where each item checks if it is affecting another item/object, i''m guessing a per square calculation.
when u look at it this way it seems very possible!

just me and my ramblings
-Thr33d

Also, forgot to note.
you would also have to include who affected who in the game and might have to have broder terms (of who affects who in which areas) but for a simple(complex) ai this may work fine.

btw sound like an awesome idea to me!

ttyl
-Thr33d

AI is used for different situations:
1. Reacting to a players actions
2. Planning ahead (strategy style)
3. ???

As i see AI implementation, it all comes down to gamma testing. If it makes the processor sweat to much because it''s to complex then you have to reduce it''s complexity. Vice versa if the processors not sweating.

What about having the program (game) check to see how much juice the processor has left and self-optimizing the minimax search depth? Then the game would be better on better machines. Come to think of it, it would make the game a little harder to review aswell.

What do you think about that idea Niphty?

You would have to use the processor power % as a variable for controlling the level of searching. I know this probably doesn''t help much when you actually sit down and code this stuff in but its an idea.

WE are their,
"Sons of the Free"

Humm.. how about a script that checks for processor percent and modifies based on that? I don''t like the idea that more powerful machines get a bigger advantage over those with less money to spend on a computer. If a script did it, it could weed out fields in the minimax tree that would likely not work. This way the processor wouldn''t go for long-shot type of solutions They might work, but no sense in trying to find out if it''s useless 95% of the time. But on a bigger machine, you could go for those long shots that might work.

It could work out either way. Just have a harder game the bigger machine you have.. hehe That might be kinda wild. Perhaps even have the player set the level of enemy AI. The problem with those today is that they''re all just how random the AI is. Since AI can be perfect, the random element is what people use to divert their intelligence. That to me isn''t right. Play almost any racing game today on the hardest level and i bet you''ll swear the AI is cheating. No, the AI is a physics god in the game and knows everything about everything. Half of the games don''t seem to have realistic controlls either because they''re not analog. Like you can race against someone who''s got percision controls when you''ve got digital As an avid car and race fan.. i find many faults with AI in racing games :/ But.. oh well. Paul, i like that idea.. hehe.. perhaps you should try to come up with more like it so i can be lazy!

J

You know, if you make the AI irrational, you would''ve done a copy of the human brain.

LOL

- DarkMage139
"Real game developers don't change the rules. Real game developers don't break the rules. Real game developers make the rules!"
"Originality (in games) is the spice of life!"

This topic is 5670 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.