• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ZenMaster.

OpenGL OpenGL 1.2

This topic is 6695 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Advertisement
I''ve read this somewhere. Most v1.1 divers are 70% (my guess) a v1.2.

The reason why they dont are "upgraded" to the name v1.2 is that they must have all functiontions specified in the v1.2 standart.

Instead of creating a v1.2, thay make a v1.1 + extension (the important stuff from 1.2 is added as extensions)...

right ???

Not exaactly, the reason why you''re not seeing any OpenGL 1.2 drivers is because the OpenGL1.2 GDI core first needs to be written for Windows. This is currently being done, and once it is finished, you''ll be able to download it to install on Win2K, Win98, and Win95.

Also, there are a fair amount of additions to OpenGL 1.2, including mandatory inclusion of certain exxtensions. If you''re interested, look for the OpenGL 1.2 specification on www.opengl.org

OpenGL1.2 will be available for BeOS5 (my favorite OS), and windows (the worst OS I know, DOS excepted) in about 3-6 months.

M$ don''t want to make a best API than DirectX available before they reach the same level.
This will be the case with DirectX8, so expect the release of OpenGL1.2 just after.
M$ told they will release OpenGL1.2 before the end of the year.

Yes I dislike M$.
I''ve the right to dislike it and many many reasons.

(Beginning with DOS version after the 3.3)

-* So many things to do, so few time to spend *-

quote:
Original post by Ingenu
M$ don''t want to make a best API than DirectX available before they reach the same level.

( I don''t mean this as a personal attack Ingenu, but I always feel I do have to come to the defense of Microsoft )
Nobody is stopping a third party from making a fully operational OpenGL 1.2 implementation for the various Windows operating systems. The fact that nobody is doing it must mean something - is everyone waiting for Microsoft to do it themselves? In that case, they are much more likely to promote their own, in-house designed, competing product, DirectX. They''ll use the expertise gained from writing DirectX to make a reasonable implementation of OpenGL 1.2, but don''t expect bells and whistles, just a strict adherence to the 1.2 specification.

Perhaps the Mesa team can make a competing version of 1.2, since they are closest, but they are still working hard on some of the recently introduced OpenGL extensions.

Give me one more medicated peaceful moment..
~ (V)^|) |<é!t|-| ~

Actually, Microsoft does have to do it. The reason being that it is built into the core of the GDI system (at least for the ICD implementation). To modify that requires access to the source code of the operating system... hmmm... who has the source?

Mesa3D is an OpenGL implementation which sits on top of other API''s (at least under Windows), so although they could do it, it wouldn''t be something to put all of your money on, if you know what I mean.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!