[java] Java history: Year Ago

Started by
3 comments, last by Arch@on 23 years, 10 months ago
Who remembers what happened year ago. Which was Java''s current version those days and what were currently hyped techs. I just want to remind those people who have said that 1.1 - 1.3 Java hasn''t had any major changes. If I remember right Swing and Java Beans were currently coming and Java was it''s 1.1 version althought there was 1.2 betas. Also there were no g2D, *shiver*. Time comes, time goes and I only am.
Advertisement
Swing was out long before a year ago. I was writing GUI''s with Swing back in early ''98, back when the swing packages were under the com.sun.java package hierarchy, before they came up with the javax hierarchy.
I am a Jedi, like my father before me
IIRC, the final release of 1.2 was in late Nov or early Dec of 98.
I don''t know why, but I found swing and Java 1.2 last year and I thought I was early, or then I just have amnesia. But anyhow, what did we expect year ago? I didn''t use much g2D, i was almost afraid of it and just sticked with normal graphics.
Heh. I remember when they switched from com.sun.java to javax naming convention . . . broke half my stuff I was writing at the time.

I remember complaining about how the JTables and JLists weren''t working correctly in the JDK1.2 betas and one of the Java gurus in the office was telling me "well I remember way back when Java 1.1 was in beta. Boy was that hell!"

Heh now JDK1.2 is pretty solid now and Java 2 1.3 has just come out (just a month or so ago, I was doing some MIDI experimentation with the 1.3 beta and when they changed to RC1, half my stuff broke again -- argh!)

-Ernest
Ernest WooWoo Gameshttp://www.woogames.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement