Java

Started by
6 comments, last by TreizeSG 20 years, 8 months ago
Are games programmed in Java good? Or are there better ways to go. I''m not looking for something really fancy, and I also know some C. What''s the best way to go? Thanks
Project ARPEG: Product, Darkness SeigeThe seige begins...
Advertisement
What do you feel more comfortable with?
Thats all that matters..
If done right Java games can be just as good as C games..
FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER OR MY BLOG
The one nice thing about Java is that you don''t have to deal with Win32 programming. I''m sure there are ways to do it in C, but I don''t think they''re built into it.
And there are bindings for OpenGL and SDL if you want to use them for your game.

Why you shouldn''t use iostream.h - ever! | A Good free online C++ book
Plus the JAVA 3D API from Sun for windows uses either OpenGL or Direct 3D
I guess

GeneralConsensus == JavaIsGood

Thanks for the opinions!
Project ARPEG: Product, Darkness SeigeThe seige begins...
If you want to do quakestyle games I think C++ is the way to go. It''s more modern than C and it''s more comparable with java.

However, getting started in C++ is hard so perhaps you should start with Java just to get something going for kicks. Tetris clones and other similar games is absolutely no problem in Java, and in fact Java is a more beutiful language to code in syntax-wise, C++ is just harder to make nice looking code in but it''s speedier.

If you''re programming hardware acceleration in java on the win32 platform you can throw away platform independence because you want sound etc and that is really hard to get working on many platforms.

Don''t take me wrong, I''m a pro C++ programmer, but have been programming Java (among others) too, and I really like the syntax, but personally, I would rather code applications and servers etc in java than kick ass games.

Just my view of it anyway, don''t trust me if you don''t like... :-)

Albert
-------------------------------------------http://www.thec.org
Java is pretty easy to pgm games in. I''ve got some applets on my site with the source to a pong applet:

www.geocities.com/nonnus29/index.htm

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement