Visual C++ VS C++ Builder

Started by
27 comments, last by uray 20 years, 8 months ago
yes... FAST COMPILER
RAPID APP. DEV.
everything about fast...that''s C++ Builder...

compiled in 0.12 sec <-------
Uray L. Meiviar
Advertisement
Their legacy continues... Here''s an old ad for Turbo C:

Personally I hated Borland C++ Builder when I wrote my 3D MasterMind game for class. I couldn''t delete the default main cpp file it added without asking me so I had to cut&paste the source into this main cpp file. Then when I added new "units" it added stupid preprocessor directives to the main cpp file. Sometimes, i still don''t know why, the piece of crap wouldn''t parse these preprocessor directives saying it was old version or something.

All in all I must say that BCB was a pure nightmare to work with I it cost me a lot of time. I was forced to compile using BCB because that was what the school computers had installed.

Of course I wrote the code at home using MSVC where everything worked like a breeze.
'ROIDRAGE!!! - I wanna work for the chinese communist regime!
And do I have to mention that the project files became corrupted 25% of the times between each session so I had to go through the trouble to setup everything from scratch?
Blah, yeah, sometimes getting used to VCL (the "units" etc) is a pain. But I have an OpenGL / VCL combination program in the making and it''s working great. Now that I understand VCL I really like it. I don''t desire the high-levelness of it for game programming, but it''s still very possible.
quote:Original post by En Dum En
Personally I hated Borland C++ Builder when I wrote my 3D MasterMind game for class. I couldn't delete the default main cpp file it added without asking me so I had to cut&paste the source into this main cpp file. Then when I added new "units" it added stupid preprocessor directives to the main cpp file. Sometimes, i still don't know why, the piece of crap wouldn't parse these preprocessor directives saying it was old version or something.

All in all I must say that BCB was a pure nightmare to work with I it cost me a lot of time. I was forced to compile using BCB because that was what the school computers had installed.

Of course I wrote the code at home using MSVC where everything worked like a breeze.

Or you could have just created new source files instead of units. Units generate accompanying headers. As far as deleting the main source file, just goto the Project menu and Remove From Project and then added your main file with Add To Project.

Builder does have a bit of a steep learning curve if you want to use it's full potential, but it is well worth it. The help system is awesome, it documents everything clearly and easily.

BTW, how do you remove source files in a VC project? I haven't found the way yet, most likely something easy I am overlooking. I don't use it much so I guess I never really looked.

[edited by - raging_jakl on July 27, 2003 11:51:24 AM]
quote:
BTW, how do you remove source files in a VC project? I haven''t found the way yet, most likely something easy I am overlooking. I don''t use it much so I guess I never really looked.
Just select and press delete on your keyboard.
quote:Original post by En Dum En
quote:
BTW, how do you remove source files in a VC project? I haven''t found the way yet, most likely something easy I am overlooking. I don''t use it much so I guess I never really looked.
Just select and press delete on your keyboard.

Hmm, never tried that. I only looked through the menus. Thanks.
En Dum En - yeah ... BCBs project system is a little anoiying sometimes ... but I also remember a time when using Visual C++ 4.2 when I didn''t know how to throw away the wizard generated / added files ... and even up to VC 6 when I didn''t know that the precompiled headers don''t always work, and neither does a plain build (rebuilt all is often needed in VC) ..

I used to prefer the Borland C++ editor to VC ... but lately I slightly prefer the VC 6 and VC .NET text editors to BCB''s ... just about everything else I prefer in Borland ...

BTW people, Borland bought CodeWright ... so maybe in 1-2 years that technology will make it into the core IDE ... for now they are just selling it stand-alone, like it always was ...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement